I can't access my apps outside the network

mikozee

Cadet
I have Cloudflare, certifications, Traefick, port-forwarding, and ingress all set up and working. If I enter my URL, i.e., jellyfin.mystuff.com, I'm able to access the app.

But I'm only able to access it on my desktop, where I had to manually add the IP and URL to the host file. If I try to add my URL to the Jellyfin iPhone app, it doesn't detect a connection. I also can't access it on my laptop on the same network because I didn't adjust the host file.

Is there a way to natively be able to access my apps from outside my house, and also without having to manually adjust the host file for every computer that might want to access?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I have Cloudflare, certifications, Traefick, port-forwarding, and ingress all set up and working. If I enter my URL, i.e., jellyfin.mystuff.com, I'm able to access the app.

But I'm only able to access it on my desktop, where I had to manually add the IP and URL to the host file. If I try to add my URL to the Jellyfin iPhone app, it doesn't detect a connection. I also can't access it on my laptop on the same network because I didn't adjust the host file.

Is there a way to natively be able to access my apps from outside my house, and also without having to manually adjust the host file for every computer that might want to access?
Yes, but there's a whole networking stack that has to work
DNS
IP addressing and routing
Firewalls and/or VPNs

Explain your setup and then describe what works and doesn't.

DaSnipe

Explorer

You likely need a split DNS like k8s-gateway or something to resolve local DNS like pi-hole

This video may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHiPr-kUqgc