Napp-it to FreeNAS zpool conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NasNovice

Cadet
I have a device that is based on Napp-IT. It has been a pain to use and several features cost a significant amount of money to enable. Because of that, I've recently booted this server to FreeNAS and have successfully imported the zpools that already existed and can even browse to them with Windows exporer. The challenge I'm having now is applying permissions of any kind or changing content.

When I try to add anything, I get a permission denied. Digging into it, I tried to change the permissions using the pool change permission and it acts like it's doing something but nothing changes. I also tried to change the permission type to Windows and received this error:
Exception Value:
[Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/mnt/backup/storage/shares/.windows'
Exception Location:/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py in mp_change_permission, line 2408

I went into the console and with root access, I tried to make a directory and got an error:
[root@nas-server /mnt/backup/storage]# mkdir test
mkdir: test: Read-only file system

I also tried to chown one of the existing directories and received an error:
[root@nas-server /mnt/backup/storage/shares]# chown root New\ folder/
chown: New folder/: Read-only file system

Am I missing anything? What do I need to do to make this existing zpool writable?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Can you post full hardware specs plus a debug file?

NasNovice

Cadet
Specs:
Mobo - SuperMicro X9SCL
CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
RAM - 16GB (2) Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz
Disk -8-2TB disks - Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH1
RaidZ - 6 disks, 10TB with one hot spare
OS - 2 bios raid disks for previous OS
Current OS running on Kingston 8GB flash drive
Network - currently using 1Gbps NIC on Mobo

Build: FreeNAS-9.2.1.8-RELEASE-x64 (e625626)

ZFS debug is attached.

Attachments

• ZFS dump.txt
    98.1 KB · Views: 258

mjws00

Guru
There is a debug button under system that will dump more useful information. The problem you are facing on getting a response is it is a non native pool so who knows what has been done. Second permissions problems are tough to troubleshoot remotely online. Cyberjock was kind enough to request more info... but short of a blatant quick solution you'll likely have to hammer on it yourself. Sorry. I'd help if I could as would many others.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sorry about not replying. I could have sworn I replied.

Nothing looks wrong from what I see. The only guess I have is that your pool's permissions aren't giving root access to change them because you had used Napp-it. Other than that I can't really help. There's a bunch of reasons why we tell people that if you use FreeNAS you should create the pool in FreeNAS. Problems can develop days, weeks, or months after the fact as a result of not making the pool in FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.