My truenas build questions

typhon25

Cadet
Alright so I just have a few questions here. Not really all that important but im curious sooo heres my build

asrock h270m pro4
i3 7100
32GB rgb corsair vengeance 3600 (ik ik not really compatible but it was only $50 for a new pair! actually hate it cuz now I have a lightshow but w/e)
3 4tb enterprise hdd's at 60k hours lmao
2 1tb hdds
1 256gb ssd
cx 430m lol i'm gonna put a 450m in since it has more sata

I'm just using it for storage since I have horrendous internet so I want a place to store movies/shows/games. Do you guys think I should upgrade my CPU/mb? Or do you think im fine? Anything else I should change out?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I want a place to store movies/shows/games.
If the data is not that important to you then you should be fine. Of course your 4TB hard drives should be replaced with some new ones but if they work, use them until they die.

Do you guys think I should upgrade my CPU/mb?
If you value your data then a server quality motherboard with CPU and 16GB ECC RAM if all you are doing it what you said above. The built in NIC is Intel so you are good there as well.

Important vs. Eh it can go away: With non-server hardware you run a few risks with data corruption. I'm not going to tell you that you will encounter it but the possibility is there. Even with server quality hardware a person can lose a file due to power glitches and just plain bad luck, however server quality hardware will generally tell you that you have an issue and try to repair it.

Do not forget to have an UPS connected as well.

typhon25

Cadet
If the data is not that important to you then you should be fine. Of course your 4TB hard drives should be replaced with some new ones but if they work, use them until they die.

If you value your data then a server quality motherboard with CPU and 16GB ECC RAM if all you are doing it what you said above. The built in NIC is Intel so you are good there as well.

Important vs. Eh it can go away: With non-server hardware you run a few risks with data corruption. I'm not going to tell you that you will encounter it but the possibility is there. Even with server quality hardware a person can lose a file due to power glitches and just plain bad luck, however server quality hardware will generally tell you that you have an issue and try to repair it.

Do not forget to have an UPS connected as well.
Alright thanks! I would be open to getting a actual server but I really don't know too much about it. Some people in my area are selling them on marketplace, like a dell poweredge r410 for $80. Says it had 32gigs of ram anyway xD

typhon25

Cadet
Alright thanks! I would be open to getting a actual server but I really don't know too much about it. Some people in my area are selling them on marketplace, like a dell poweredge r410 for $80. Says it had 32gigs of ram anyway xD
Oh and I also wonder about the electricity usage/noise on a real server. How much could I expect to spend monthly on electric?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Do your research before spending any money, if you don't then you might get bitter if you wasted any money.
Start with the hardware you presently have, it will give you the opportunity to figure out if you really want a better server or not. I personally do not recommend building a server for media only storage, it is a waste of money these days, unless you just have terrible internet. But it's your money so I will not tell anyone to not do it.

As for electrical power, think about leaving a 100 watt light bulb on all day an all night. It might be a 75 Watt or 150 Watt, it depends on your system build. The CPU, motherboard, and hard drives eat up power. Graphics cards do as well. I don't think about the cost of my electric bill. My spinning rust server pulls about 114 watts, my new NVMe server pulls 42 watts and makes no sound at all and it is presently in my bedroom actually, but not for long.

Noise, usually the hard drives spinning and the fans. I would not want it in my bedroom, it would drive me nuts and my wife might cover my head with a pillow and press down hard. Unless you build a quiet system but these cost money. No hard drives, just SSD or NVMe. one system fan that is large and spins slowly. Same thing for the CPU heatsink and fan. And as for the size of the case, you must have good airflow across the hot components. Small cases are usually terrible at this if you are using a Hard Drive, but the SSD or NVMe can get away with it if you plan it out properly.

typhon25

Cadet
Do your research before spending any money, if you don't then you might get bitter if you wasted any money.
Start with the hardware you presently have, it will give you the opportunity to figure out if you really want a better server or not. I personally do not recommend building a server for media only storage, it is a waste of money these days, unless you just have terrible internet. But it's your money so I will not tell anyone to not do it.

As for electrical power, think about leaving a 100 watt light bulb on all day an all night. It might be a 75 Watt or 150 Watt, it depends on your system build. The CPU, motherboard, and hard drives eat up power. Graphics cards do as well. I don't think about the cost of my electric bill. My spinning rust server pulls about 114 watts, my new NVMe server pulls 42 watts and makes no sound at all and it is presently in my bedroom actually, but not for long.

Noise, usually the hard drives spinning and the fans. I would not want it in my bedroom, it would drive me nuts and my wife might cover my head with a pillow and press down hard. Unless you build a quiet system but these cost money. No hard drives, just SSD or NVMe. one system fan that is large and spins slowly. Same thing for the CPU heatsink and fan. And as for the size of the case, you must have good airflow across the hot components. Small cases are usually terrible at this if you are using a Hard Drive, but the SSD or NVMe can get away with it if you plan it out properly.
Alright, I appreciate the help! I'll just get a ups and play with what I have! Looks like storms are brewing out here so I might unplug it for a bit anyway. Have a good one!