Not open for further replies.

Darkflame

Dabbler
CPU Intel Xeon Processor E3-1240L v5 or E3-1260L v5

Motherboard Asus Server MB P10S-X

RAM Kingston ValueRAM KVR21E15D8K2/16

PSU Fractal Design Edison M 450W

what do you guys think about this?

it is supposed to be a cheap ATX sized server where i can mount my current array of 4 3tb WD reds and could expand with a second array in the future?
i currently am running a 3ghz 32gb older xeon which draws about 250-280w and would cost me about 500euro each year so i would actually save money on this build.

but i am hoping to remove all caveats in my plan before purchasing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkflame

Dabbler
are you saying i cant build a 40w idle freenas box?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
are you saying i cant build a 40w idle freenas box?
Sure you can. The "L" designated CPU's are for thermally constrained applications, not for lower power usage.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
With absolutely zero care given to minimize power consumption, my server idles close to 40W.
Getting rid of IPMI (X11SSM), optimizing cooling for power consumption, turning off the second NIC and optimizing the PSU for idle power would all bring consumption down a bit, but it's really not worth it.

nojohnny101

Wizard
I'll echo what @Ericloewe said and add that the backup freenas box that I'm currently running was built without a hyper focus on efficiency and it ideas at 35w. (see sig for details).

Darkflame

Dabbler
it indeed i did see the TDP wrong i dont need a cool system i can cool it more than fine i want a power draw below 50 when idle i dont realyt mind a higher power use when in use just that right now i am using an older server taking about 250w idle and it is on 24/7
i cant seem to find anny real world builds with idle vs load power consumption tho.

haw about
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5

would that be a good choice for the CPU for a home server?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sure, but it can be overkill. How many simultaneous transcodes do you want Plex to do?

Darkflame

Dabbler
i want it to handle 4k and at leased 1 maybe 2 more streams also considering it is my NAS server and when streaming id needs to be able to stil saturate the gigabit network i am thinking of hooking up 10gb from the server to the router or switch so that i can have in theory 10 1gb connections to the swith in the future

if you think it is overkill i am leaning more to. Intel Xeon E3-1220 V5 or E3-1225V5 just because of the price delta

maybe go to a motherboard of supermicro like
Supermicro X11SAE-M
i like this as it has dual 10Gbit lan and the price seems to be fair and has 8 sata port wich is what I want to put in a second array in the future

maybe 1 last question
do i need an internal GPU for running a headless system as i do not want a dedicated gpu in it? i just want to be able to hook up a monitor for troubleshooting and instalation

darkwarrior

Patron
Hi there,
Nope. You don't need CPU with integrated graphics on the Supermicro boards. Because they have a small integrated GPU chipsets.

Status
Not open for further replies.