My real first build

Maxime FRANCK

Dabbler
Hi all :)

After my first post 1 years ago i decided to make an great build and not an .. ok build without ECC :D

So I bought an cheap config:
Case: Node 304
MB: Asus p10s-i + ipmi & kvm module
RAM: Kingston Technology Technology Server Premier KSM24ES8/8ME ECC
CPU: Intel E3 1250

Host Storage:
1 USB for esxi install
1 SSD Sata for my esxi dataset

Pool:
Moria
Mirror 2*2To HDD WD RED ( old disk old pool :) )

and it's wooork but now i whant to make an Raid-z2 pool of 6 * 4To disk

but i'm lost in all LSI card, i try to found the best value of used card :/
And i'm affaird about comptatibility with esxi

for the momment i whant to buy an LSI SAS 9200

it's an good idea ?

Some guru can help me ? :)

Yorick

Wizard
You are going to pass the card through, which means it doesn’t have to be compatible with VMware. You can absolutely use a 9200 series flashed to IT mode. If you can get a used pull of a m1015 or equivalent, say an h200, those will work great, just require some cross flashing work.

Recently confirmed in these forums by someone who has an old 9200 series card, upgraded VMware to 7.0, ignoring the warnings, and could continue using the card with his FreeNAS guest. It did require setting up the passthrough again, and removing and re-adding the passed through HBA to the FreeNAS guest.

Maxime FRANCK

Dabbler
Wow fast reply :)

with openZFS2.0 coming-out with special dev maybe 12Gb is better no ?

if i whant to add 2 sdd to my config
or it's useless for me ?

Yorick

Wizard
The special vdev is probably not going to do much for you unless you have tens of thousands of files, and/or many small files. Answer your own question: Is browsing directories slow to build the list of files, right now? Then a special vdev holding metadata will help. Do you have lots and lots of small files (such as a source tree), and compiles take forever because your disks keep seeking all over the place? Then a special vdev holding small files will help, for some value of "small" to be defined by you.

Yorick

Wizard
Oh, quick add: Before you buy those 4To disks, be aware that WD Red EFAX are DM-SMR, which you do not want. EFRX are CMR, those are fine; and Red Pro are fine; and Ironwolf / N300 are fine.

Maxime FRANCK

Dabbler
yes i had found this info recently about wd red

currently I work on my local ssd for all my git repo, so maybe i'll give a try

thanks for your time :)