Multiple connections to iSCSI target cause FreeNAS reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my home lab I am trying to connect several clustered Windows Server 2012 VMs to use the same iSCSI target as their D: drive. I can get it to work on every single individual install just fine, but the moment I connect a second server or third server to utilize the same same target then FreeNAS 9.3 Stable reboots.

Initially I thought it was a Jumbo Frames issue so I setup a VLAN on FreeNAS and a VLAN on my VMs and set the NICs devoted to those VLANs to use Jumbo Frames (mtu 9000). This did not resolve the issue, as the problem persists.

I fear I am missing something obvious here. I'm new to iSCSI but not to FreeNAS. I'm certainly open to other alternatives to iSCSI to have multiple Windows Servers simultaneously utilize the same share, mountable as a drive letter (ultimately each Windows Server will be using high I/O writing and reading to the share).

For reference the hardware I am running FreeNAS 9.3 Stable on is an ASRock E3C226D2I MiniITX motherboard, Intel Xeon Dual-Core G3220, 16GB of ECC RAM, dual Intel i210 NICs, and six 3TB Seagate Constellation ES.3 128MB cache drives in ZFS RAID-Z2. The FreeNAS box is connected to my VMWare box on a dedicated TP-Link TL-SG108E smart switch.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
If those servers aren't set up as a failover cluster with Cluster Shared Volumes, you'll get corrupted data in a hurry as NTFS isn't a cluster-aware filesystem without some serious help.

That said, multiple iSCSI initiators connecting shouldn't ever cause the FreeNAS server to reboot, so something more severe is wrong here.

Is anything being logged at the FreeNAS console?

Status
Not open for further replies.