MSA20 and Smart array 6404

Status
Not open for further replies.

afmiller

Contributor
Am I able to hook these up once I install the image for freenas. This will allow me to have 12Tb of storage, which I am looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. here's how I interpreted your post:

"My car won't start.. can someone tell me what is wrong?"

Quite literally, that's probably how everyone else took it. Get the manual at doc.freenas.org and give it a read. We aren't into teaching people to use FreeNAS. Get the manual and use it. If you get stuck with an error try searching the forums and google. If those don't give you answers then post a specific question according to the forum rules. But saying your stuff doesn't work is a non-starter.

afmiller

Contributor
Not to start an argument but my question was pretty straight forward. I've looked on the forums and read the specs. I've come across a little blurb about about the smart array 6404. But I'm not going to dump $300 down on equipment and try it out.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi afmiller,

I stuffed "Smart array 6404 freebsd" into google and figured out that the card is a SCSI RAID card and it uses the "ciss" driver. The I ran "find / | grep ciss" on my filer & it didn't find any .ko files, so I'm going to say you are pretty much out of luck.

Honestly, this could very well be a blessing.

If you really want to use the MSA20 you could try hitting the ebay & look for a good old Adapted SCSI controller which would present you a bunch of raw disks (just the way zfs likes it) to get the enclosure working

-Will

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not to start an argument but my question was pretty straight forward. I've looked on the forums and read the specs. I've come across a little blurb about about the smart array 6404. But I'm not going to dump $300 down on equipment and try it out.

And that's completely reasonable and understandable. I had some old Highpoint controllers I tried on FreeNAS. I even did extensive testing and made a sticky for others that want to use them. But trying to do something like what you are doing is going to put you on an island by yourself with trying to figure out if they work, how well they work, and if there's a problem you're on your own to fix it. That last part is a killer because as you can see nobody has any feedback. If you check out my sticky on Highpoint controllers you'll see my comment that is something like 'Yes they work, yes they take some work to make them work, but you are crazy for using them for anything but an emergency situation".

Dusan

Guru

afmiller

Contributor
And that's completely reasonable and understandable. I had some old Highpoint controllers I tried on FreeNAS. I even did extensive testing and made a sticky for others that want to use them. But trying to do something like what you are doing is going to put you on an island by yourself with trying to figure out if they work, how well they work, and if there's a problem you're on your own to fix it. That last part is a killer because as you can see nobody has any feedback. If you check out my sticky on Highpoint controllers you'll see my comment that is something like 'Yes they work, yes they take some work to make them work, but you are crazy for using them for anything but an emergency situation".
Thanks for the info cyber, I do recall reading that, I'm just new to the hp equipment. Is there any equipment that will work with the msa20 and be effective. I know will mentioned the adaptec SCSI controllers. I already have a Hp dl360 that was going to run freenas.

Status
Not open for further replies.