Moving from existing Linux sofwtare raid5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I've been following this project on/off for a few years and having decided to go down the DIY NAS rout (with a ubuntu install) would now like to try my hand at Freenas 8 which looks fantastic! I have a PC with 3 x 2TB drives in a Raid5 array currently. I was wondering whether it would be at all possible to have Freenas pick this up if I install it on a CF card and plug in the drives. I know I could, for example, move it to a new linux OS and run mdadm to reassemble the array, I just don't know whether freenas is able to do this.

Would I be better to back all the data up (~2gb) and then move the disks there and start over? I guess ZFS wouldn't be compatible with my existing raid setup anyway?

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
No, you cannot. FreeNAS is based off FreeBSD and not Linux. FreeBSD does not recognize linux soft raid (mdadm raid5). You would have to backup and start from scratch

Okey dokey, thanks for the info. Guess moving over to freenas will require a little more work than I'd hoped. Might run it up on a virtual box first to see if I wan't to make the plunge!

Status
Not open for further replies.