Migrating from Ubuntu/mdadm/raid5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsondr

Dabbler
Hi all,

I have a file server that is currently running an old version of Ubuntu 11. It has 6x 1TB drives running raid5 with mdadm.

I'm interested in dumping the existing ubuntu installation that runs the raid and replace it with FreeNAS. I would want to keep the current raid5 partition intact and mount it with FreeNAS.

How difficult would this be to do?

Thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. can't do that. FreeNAS does ZFS.

If you want to switch to FreeNAS, you'll have to go without that RAID.

crimsondr

Dabbler
Oops, I honestly never realized that the old raid5/raid6 weren't an option in FreeNAS. I just assumed that ZFS was preferred option but not the only option.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Oops, I honestly never realized that the old raid5/raid6 weren't an option in FreeNAS. I just assumed that ZFS was preferred option but not the only option.
Its the only option as of 9.3

But I don't remember a time when you could import a raid setup from another OS into freenas

crimsondr

Dabbler
Its the only option as of 9.3

But I don't remember a time when you could import a raid setup from another OS into freenas
I guess my other assumption was that if FreeNAS supported raid5/raid6 it would also be using mdadm. If that were the case I don't see why you wouldn't be able to setup FreeNAS to use an existing array created by mdadm in Ubuntu. That was my thinking anyway...

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Freenas has never officially supported anything but ufs and zfs...so you would have had to been running one of those filesystems in order to import

Status
Not open for further replies.