Not open for further replies.

ca18det

Dabbler
Current System

Ubuntu 16.04.1
Linux 4.4.0-47-generic 64bit
Intel i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz
120gb ssd as boot/root/swap
5x WD 4tb red in mdadm Raid5 (used to store manual backups only)
3x WD 2tb green in mdadm Raid5 (used to server media/music/plex)
1x WD 500gb blue as a disk off my 3ware SAS expander (this gets motion detected video pushed to it from a IP Camera)

Webmin
Plex
SMB sharing
mdadm

Growing concerned about bitrot/URE when rebuilding a raid array. So ZFS is on the table.

I am a novice with ubuntu but it is the only distro I have experience with but I'm comfortable and know a bit of my way around the CLI.

What attracted me to this build was off the shelf hardware, and the ability to rebuild my raid array on any machine including VM if needed. Ive had some drive failures in the past and I'm scared now of getting a URE and losing my data.

Question: I understand I can't add extra drives to the ZFS system, but can I straight up take a ZFS pool of disks to another machine and have the array work like it was in the system? Much like I can with mdadm? If I were to reinstall FreeNAS on the machine - or a new machine - and bring the disks to that machine, would they auto detect or is there alot of bullshittng around to get FreeNAS to see the old array?

This would be my biggest caveat to run ZFS/freenas - protability of the disks.

Thanks for any input.

Jay

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
A. You can add disks to create new vdevs, which you can then add vdevs to pools. You cannot add disks to current vdevs.

B. Yes, you can take your current disks and plug them into any modern Linux or bsd system that supports zfs and get access to your data. FreeNAS is more than happy to move from physical system to physical system without hassle. Typically the only thing you need to fix is the IP address when moving to a new system.

Stux

MVP
If you take the disks to another system, any capable ZFS enabled system (caveats) will be able to import (like mounting sorta) the pool.

What's more, any FreeNAS install will work just like your old machine if you then upload the config.

What's more, if you take your boot USB as well, any machine will be as if it were your old NAS! You just need to reset the network settings.

ca18det

Dabbler
If you take the disks to another system, any capable ZFS enabled system (caveats) will be able to import (like mounting sorta) the pool.

What's more, any FreeNAS install will work just like your old machine if you then upload the config.

What's more, if you take your boot USB as well, any machine will be as if it were your old NAS! You just need to reset the network settings.

I don't want to use a USB stick, I have a dedicated 120gb ssd, will that still work for the install ?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
oh, i just read they dont recommend freenas being installed on hard drives..
It's not "not recommended".

Lots of users are pushing for installs on SSD for the reliability, and speed of boot time(which means nothing to me since it's a server and doesn't need to reboot). FreeNAS documentation suggests something like a SATA Dom or USB, but also states that installing on a disk will work just fine. The downside is that it eats up a SATA port.

ca18det

Dabbler
It's not "not recommended".

Lots of users are pushing for installs on SSD for the reliability, and speed of boot time(which means nothing to me since it's a server and doesn't need to reboot). FreeNAS documentation suggests something like a SATA Dom or USB, but also states that installing on a disk will work just fine. The downside is that it eats up a SATA port.

Thats weird, my installed actually flashed "FreeNAS does not recommend to be installed on a hard disk" or something to that affect

i went along with it anyway lol

Stux

MVP
I think the warning is because it assumes you're installing onto a data disk

ca18det

Dabbler
I think the warning is because it assumes you're installing onto a data disk
I see. I guess this assumes you are installing on an existing system rather than making a purpose built system.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I see. I guess this assumes you are installing on an existing system rather than making a purpose built system.
Really it's just there because people try to install it on the same drive they want to store data. Even though the documentation says otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.