SOLVED Moving existing server to new hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysticpete

Contributor
I have looked through many discussions on just how this is achieved, from just taking the disks and OS and putting them into the new server and off you go to lines of cli commands.

So I have moved 1 pool of 5 x 2tb disks to a fresh install of freenas on a new SSD on new server hardware.

Here's the problem, I saved the config file from the old server and then imported it into the new server, restarted and found that it could not establish a network socket and would not connect to the network, I keep getting dreaded AFPD errors saying that no suitable network config for TCP socket, it just carries on repeating that and I obviously cannot get into the box remotely.

I am assuming here that the config file holds all the details of the jails and settings on the OS, network plugins etc?
I managed to import the volume on a clean version and can see all the pool but no jails or plugins? seems to just hold the data itself and the user account details.

Tried deleting and making a new network config from the console but this did not clear the AFP errors or give me network connection.

Can anyone give me advice on how to resolve this AFPD issue?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

gpsguy

Often times you need to reconfigure the network after moving to new hardware. From the console setup menu, option #1 , delete the current configuration and re-add it anew.

mysticpete

Contributor
Often times you need to reconfigure the network after moving to new hardware. From the console setup menu, option #1 , delete the current configuration and re-add it anew.
Not much good when you have no network to connect to tho.

gpsguy

hook up a monitor- that's why I said "console setup menu".

mysticpete

Contributor

mysticpete

Contributor
@gpsguy Ah OK I have sussed this out now, I wasn't using the console properly, didn't realise I had to put on "n" to get another option when configuring the network interface, all good now, thanks for your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.