Moving Discs from old Freenas box to new

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoonerLater

Explorer
I'm in the pre-deployment planning stage. Due to budget constraints, I will probably just recycle an old PC to turn it into a Freenas box with a simple 2-drive Raid 1 mirror. Later, when I can afford to buy a new mobo and a nice chassis (something with 4, 6 or 8 drive trays), I'd like to install Freenas on the new box and just move the two old Raid 1 drives to the new box as a Raid 1 mirror (as opposed to backing up the data to an eternal drive; installing the existing Raid 1 drive pair in the new box; creating a new empty Raid 1 array from scratch; and then copying the data from the backup to the new array).

Will that be possible?

HAL9000

Dabbler
I have a ZFS RAIDZ2 setup and I have had success in moving my data pools to a new case and new raid card; albeit the same motherboard.
Suggest saving the configuration if you want to keep the existing configuration. Then move the Raid1 HDs into the new system, reload configuration and import the pool.
Since you plan to put in a new motherboard, I would suggest a clean install of latest FreeNas version to the USB.

I don't know if this works for UFS format. Perhaps someone with more experience will comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.