SOLVED Mouse issue installing FreeNAS in Virtualbox (for test/practice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acidtest

Cadet
This might be more of a question for a Virtualbox forum but maybe someone here can help.

I'm building a FreeNAS server, and decided to do a test install in a Virtualbox VM on my Windows 10 PC to learn a bit. However, I can't get past the initial install screen as the prompt for what disk to install on requires a mouse click and I can't seem to get VB to recognize the mouse. I normally have a mouse running through a KVM switch, but also connected directly to a USB port on the PC and neither is recognized. I haven't tried using a PS/2 port.

The keyboard is connected directly via USB, because Win 10 so far doesn't seem to work with my KVM for the kb. (The mouse works fine - the KVM is an IOGear GCS1204.)

Hopefully this will be a moot issue soon - I'm waiting on a couple of things to complete the hardware build so next week may have the real install going.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
It's likely a virtualbox issue. But you should be able to use a series of "tab" to move around, and "spacebar" to select/de-select. Just use the spacebar to check all the boxes, and then tab to the next and hit enter (or spacebar).

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I didn't even realize it'd let you use a mouse. People usually don't connect mice to UNIX servers.

In the old days, Windows would *also* let you keyboard around the UI, and to a lesser extent, still does. Us old UNIX guys are often tabbing around Windows too. ;-)

Acidtest

Cadet
It's likely a virtualbox issue. But you should be able to use a series of "tab" to move around, and "spacebar" to select/de-select. Just use the spacebar to check all the boxes, and then tab to the next and hit enter (or spacebar).

Thanks, I did try using kb to get around, but will have to try using the spacebar tonight. As I recall Tab took me between the 2 choices (whatever they are, continue/cancel) but I'm not sure I tried selecting the disk with spacebar.

And yeah I've used kb to get around in older Windows versions at a few points. I'm old enough to pre-date mice too, I remember the Apple Lisa as my first mouse experience!

danb35

Hall of Famer
as the prompt for what disk to install on requires a mouse click
No it doesn't. Up/down arrows move the selection up and down, spacebar selects and deselects.

mattbbpl

Patron
I didn't even realize it'd let you use a mouse. People usually don't connect mice to UNIX servers.

In the old days, Windows would *also* let you keyboard around the UI, and to a lesser extent, still does. Us old UNIX guys are often tabbing around Windows too. ;-)
You absolutely can still do that in Windows. Our software QA lab actually has several testers who don't have mice hooked up to their machine because we have 2 large customers who do not provision mice to their employees' Windows-based workstations.

These customers actually test each release they receive with "keypress counters" and ensure that a new release doesn't require new keypresses in a previously existing workflow.

Acidtest

Cadet
Yeah, it looks like I missed that the spacebar is used to select a choice. I'll confirm tonight but I assume that will clear this up for me.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You absolutely can still do that in Windows

No, trust me, after several dozen installs of Win 10 Technical Preview, I can tell you that the attention to such detail at Microsoft has slowly eroded over time. Windows 7 was probably the last platform on which it was fairly consistently possible to reliably keyboard around the UI. Now, it is rather more hit-or-miss.

mattbbpl

Patron
No, trust me, after several dozen installs of Win 10 Technical Preview, I can tell you that the attention to such detail at Microsoft has slowly eroded over time. Windows 7 was probably the last platform on which it was fairly consistently possible to reliably keyboard around the UI. Now, it is rather more hit-or-miss.
Wow, there are going to be some people who are apoplectic when they're forced to make that switch. I'm glad I won't have to deal with them.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I can't even remember which thing it was that I was in where tab worked, but essentially jumped around the screen in a pseudorandom pattern because somebody had obviously changed the layout of the GUI without understanding the finer points of what the code meant.

rsquared

Explorer
Windows 7 was already a big step backwards for keyboard usability... One more reason to delay switching to 10 as long as possible.

Acidtest

Cadet
Confirmed spacebar works, thanks! I use unix kb only stuff all the time at work and just didn't even think like that on my home box.

Status
Not open for further replies.