SOLVED "Mountpoint {Path} not within path {Path}/blah/foo. This may indicate that the path of the SMB share contains a symlink component."

ryun

Dabbler
I ran into this problem repeatably on all of my pools on TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.1 when trying to make an SMB share. I'm trying to share a file deeper in the tree to make it easier for people to get to the folder they want from the windows network neighborhood (I also want to manage ACL permissions with the GUI) and getting this error on creation:
[EINVAL] sharingsmb_create.path_local: Mountpoint /mnt/BackupTank/test not within path /mnt/BackupTank/test/blah/foo. This may indicate that the path of the SMB share contains a symlink component.

It's weird because this happens with any directory lower than "blah" in my folder path. So /mnt/BackupTank/test/blah/foo? Error. /mnt/BackupTank/test/blah/foo/bar? Error. /mnt/BackupTank/test/blah? Success! I'm just using the wizard to do this and not changing anything except the folder path. This is consistent across all pools. I even made a brand new pool/dataset while making folders on the shell to test it and it still happens. I am fairly new to linux but when using ls -l to check for symlink's all the folders are categorized as directories and not symbolic links.

Can anyone please explain why this is and if I'm doing something wrong?

aguest

Cadet
I'm seeing the same thing this morning with my SMB shares. Running find . -type l also returned no symlinks in any mounts for me. Hopefully someone has resolved this issue.

crownrai

Dabbler
I just ran some tests and have come across the same problem. It appears that you can't create an SMB share any lower than one directory below a Dataset directory. I'm not sure if this is a bug, or some intended implementation to workaround another issue.

ex.
Sharable:
/mnt/pool/datatset/dir1/
NOT sharable:
/mnt/pool/datatset/dir1/subdir1/

Sharable:
/mnt/pool/dataset/subdataset/subdir1
NOT sharable:
/mnt/pool/dataset/subdataset/subdir1/subsubdir1

aguest

Cadet
Out of curiosity, I took a look at the SMB code. It looks like there was a change on February 28th that changed the code responsible for checking that the Dataset path is within new SMB mountpoint. It looks like the is_child_realpath() is where this error is coming from.

What confuses me is that when I run the same Python code from the command line, that is_child_realpath() is running, the checks pass.

ryun

Dabbler
Thanks you two for confirming I'm not crazy. I'm going to go ahead and create a bug.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Curious. I just attempted to reproduce this on a test machine running SCALE 22.12.1 - but it seemed to be just fine with it.

1680793187020.png

1680793229553.png

Can you post any additional steps that might be needed to reproduce this, both here and in the bug report? Thanks!

sretalla