Mounting from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/default failed with error 2 after switching hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sightblinder

Dabbler
Hey!

Due to hardware failure (Mobo) on my old FreeNAS-setup I had to replace the motherboard, CPU and RAM. After done this my FreeNAS (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201605170422) won't boot up but get stuck on mountroot. I have googled and read a few that have experienced the same problem where some solved it with a workaround , some by switching from a USB 3.0 port to a USB 2.0 port, some by enabling xhci.ko in GRUB boot, and some by starting over with new USB drive and new distribution installation. I have read the bug report #7435 which seems to fit my problem down to the error message and the same brand of USB stick.

So I have tried a few things mentioned in that bug report comments but with no success.
  • I have tried the workaround by adding the delay but that didn't work, Same error.
  • I have tried switching around the USB in the ports (both 3.0 and 2.0). Same error.
I am now wondering if anyone who is better skilled than me with FreeNAS and/or this problem has any good ideas what I could do? Should I try something else to try and salvage my 9.3-installation that worked just fine uptil I switched hardware, or should I try and install Freenas 9.10 and load my 9.3 config file (if that even will work?)?

I hope someone has a good idea so I don't lose my files, settings, jail/plugins (e.g. Plex), CIFS etc.

Thank you for any advice you can give me. :)

My new hardware is following:

Motherboard: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming, Socket-1151
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 Skylake Processor (Socket-LGA1151, Dual Core 3.7GHz, 3MB, 51W, 14nm, HD530)
RAM: 2 x DDR4-DIMM-2133 Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR4 PC17000/2133MHz CL14 8GB
HDD: 3 x 2TB Seagate
USB: Sandisk Ultra Fit 3.0 16GB

danb35

Hall of Famer
should I try and install Freenas 9.10 and load my 9.3 config file (if that even will work?)?
You can upload your 9.3 config file to 9.10, and it's my understanding that 9.10 is considerably better in terms of USB 3.0 support, so that seems like a good idea.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can upload your 9.3 config file to 9.10, and it's my understanding that 9.10 is considerably better in terms of USB 3.0 support, so that seems like a good idea.
Yes, the XHCI stack in FreeBSD 10 even solves the stupid UPS timeout errors that were common with EHCI+USB 2.0 under FreeBSD 9.

Sightblinder

Dabbler
Thank you for the reponses.

I planned to upgrade to 9.10 but the hardware failure got in my way. It's been a long time since I reinstalled FreeNAS and much has changed. Is there anything I should know when installing and upload my old config so I don't lose anything?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Is there anything I should know when installing and upload my old config so I don't lose anything?
Just make sure you quit the initial setup wizard, so it doesn't start trying to set up a new pool on the existing data disks.

Sightblinder

Dabbler
Thank you. I installed 9.10 yesterday and it went fine and then uploaded my old configuration which "broke" the network configuration. But after configurating it manually it came back. Then I did the mistake of upgrading to 9.10-U1 which gave me update failure and problems with my jails/plugins and possibly the CIFS. Bit with that I am not alone and there is a bug report about it, so I'll wait and see.

Stux

MVP
Thank you. I installed 9.10 yesterday and it went fine and then uploaded my old configuration which "broke" the network configuration. But after configurating it manually it came back. Then I did the mistake of upgrading to 9.10-U1 which gave me update failure and problems with my jails/plugins and possibly the CIFS. Bit with that I am not alone and there is a bug report about it, so I'll wait and see.

Just rollback to the previous version in the grub boot screen. Then it *should* recognise your disk pool if its in the machine.

Sightblinder

Dabbler
It is working as far as I can tell but the CIFS are a bit harder to reach and the jails don't always start automatically after a server boot up. I will wait and see what they make of the problems others have with U1. Also read a couple who rolled back to 9.10 and got permission errors, so a rollback might create other problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.