Mounting CIFS w/ SMB3 to fstab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stryf

Dabbler
I'm looking for the best fstab options for mounting CIFS to Linux Mint 18.2 (Ubuntu/Debian) with the highest security and performance. I noticed that the default mounting only worked when I set the minimum share level to LANMAN but hours later I was able to mount SMB2/3 by adding the "vers=3.0" argument.

Example:
FreeNAS Username = "user3" (UID=1003 | GID =1003&1000)
Linux Username = "user3" (UID 1000 | GID 1000)

//<server>/Uploads /mnt/Uploads cifs credentials=/etc/secrets,vers=3.0,uid=1000,gid=1000,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770 0 0

1. What do you use in your /etc/fstab for mounting CIFS shares? I'm not sure if i'm missing options or if I have bad/redundant arguments.
2. Do i need to add a "sec=" option for something like ntlmssp or ntlmsspi?
3. Should i use nfs instead?

GBillR

Contributor
1. What do you use in your /etc/fstab for mounting CIFS shares? I'm not sure if i'm missing options or if I have bad/redundant arguments.
2. Do i need to add a "sec=" option for something like ntlmssp or ntlmsspi?
3. Should i use nfs instead?

1. This is a mount I use in fstab for my plex server (ubuntu server):
Code:
//192.168.100.50/Movies /mnt/movies cifs uid=112,credentials=/home/floyd/.smbcreds,vers=3.0,iocharset=utf8,ro,sec=ntlmssp 0 0

2. I found I could not connect reliably without sec=ntlmssp

3. I had issues with ntfs... maybe you'll have better luck than I.

Stryf

Dabbler
Thanks, I've added the iocharset=utf8 and sec=ntlmsspi to my string and was able to set the samba server to min 3_00 and max 3_11. For some reason the drives wouldn't map if i set the minimum to just "SMB3".

Status
Not open for further replies.