Mount points

Status
Not open for further replies.

srord

Cadet
Did anyone have an existing file server in place before freenas? I have around 400 linux vm's and need to change the mount point or find a creative way to link the shares.

Here is the scenario
I have a fileserver with the mount point /data/share
all my vm's are pointed to "hostname:/data/share"
I have all the host with the /etc/fstab with the line "hostname:/data/share /mnt/atlas nfs defaults 0 0"

Is their a tool to change these all at once to my freenas share /share?
is their a way to symlink these to "/data/share" without messing anything up?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Create that export on the server?

sillyfrog

Cadet
I'm in a similar situation, and ideally would like to change what the NFS server exports, so the path on the client can be the previous path.

Looking at the documentation (and searching the net for a while), it appears the "Comment" field in the UI used to do this, however this no longer works (from my testing at least).

Using the /mnt/... works just fine (so NFS is working as I would expect).

SweetAndLow: Can you provide some guidance on how to change the export on the server please?

I tried SSH'ing in, creating a folder and then creating a symlink to the new location, however when I go to share it I get the error: The path must reside within a volume mount point.

Thanks!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So you previously had an NFS export mounted as (for example)

oldserver:/some/thing

and now your FreeNAS wants

freenas:/mnt/pool

or something like that? There's no good way to map the /some/thing to /mnt/pool, no.

sillyfrog

Cadet
Perfect description, (mapping the "path" portion). The idea is freenas will equal oldserver (by IP address and host name), and I was hoping the paths could be the same as well...

Thanks for the post, much appreciated .

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, sorry, NFS admins have been kvetching about NFS mount points for as long as the protocol existed. Most of the fixes are worse than the problem.

I do wish that FreeNAS would allow setting the mountpoint. The current /mnt/ selection is a violation of hier(7); /mnt/ is supposed to be an empty directory available for temporary mounts. I've been kvetching about THAT since day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.