cifs / mount points / bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDK

Cadet
Hi and thanks for another release of FreeNAS.

In short, in what fashion should windows shares be mounted in FreeNAS?

1) I am familiar with nano /etc/fstab with format as follows (which does not work as I get some error)

- \\windows.machines\sharename <tab>/mnt/mountpointname <tab>cifs <tab>username=whatever,password=whatever 0 <tab>0

2) I also tried mounting in the same fashion as described in the /etc/fstab file (less '/' etc) with no luck.

3) I am able to mount windows share as follows (but this obviously does not provide a permanent mount and is gone with reboot: mount_smbfs -I 1.2.3.4 //username@nasserver/share /path/to/local/mnt

4) NOW, while successfully mounted a windows share, I navigate to the share and can do a list in the dir, seeing all the files, BUT, with FreeNAS version: FreeNAS™ 8.0-RELEASE, when I go to CIFS and want to add teh windows (mount point) it just shows '-----' So in other words there is no drop down arrow.

5) Should I mount in a specific dir for the mount to appear in the web GUI?

Setup: vmware workstation 7, disc size:8Gb, memory size: 512Mb, Bridged eth0, etc...

Any assistance would be great.

Thanks to the developers.[/B]

CDK

Cadet
Downloaded FreeNAS-8.0.1-BETA2-i386.iso ,, created another VM as above.

In CIFS, the 'Path' to mount drop down box now works and defaults to /mnt

Having said that, I have mounted my Windows share in /mnt/share ,, but in CIFS if I point the Path to /mnt/share ,, I get a error: 'The path must reside within a volume mountpoint'

What am I missing here? I am mounting the SMB share and I can RW to it through shell. How do I tell this awesome looking web frontend to look at the /mnt/share??

I have pretty much went through the entire forum searching and feel quite left out as no one seems to mention anything about my issue??

Cheers.

CDK

Cadet
Aha, so if I understand this correctly, you cannot use FreeNAS to control the accessibility, permissions and control of drives that are not installed in the same architecture (computer) where FreeNAS is installed on.

So having a standalone Win Server 2008 R2 machine, with 'x' amount of drives all shared and available in a 'workgroup', cannot be used by FreeNAS which is installed on a separate architecture (computer), in my case a virtual machine, to act as a Interactive File Share Server.

Well if this is indeed the case, could someone please clarify or advise.

Andes Help

Cadet
I know this is old. But, I have a new installation with the exact same problem. And, it is a local share which I cannot set-up. The only path I can get in the GUI is /mnt and that does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.