Mount points change from other storage server

Status
Not open for further replies.

srord

Cadet
I have two question dealing with mount points.

One being I have a Solaris system acting as a storage system and want to move over but the mounts on that system are /data/share. Is there a way i can get freenas have the same mount point? I have around 500 vms in my workplace all different OS's all connected to that mount point. example: \\storageserver\data\share

Another question is if this can not be done what do you guys suggest on doing to still use freenas with out changing about 500vms mount points?

Also I have around 40TB if that has to come into play with your suggestions.

D

dlavigne

When creating your volume, call it data, then create a dataset named share. Note that FreeNAS will prepend /mnt to the volume/dataset name.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This question was *just* answered not even 2 days ago by myself.

1. zpools named 'data' usually have problems, so naming your pool 'data' is not going to go well for you long-term.
2. There is no way to bend FreeNAS to use \\storageserver\data\share. FreeNAS is hardcoded to put all shares, pools, etc in /mnt. The WebGUI will get upset if you try to circumvent these limitations via the CLI yourself and you *will* have problems later. Unless you plan to recode FreeNAS significantly you will need to either accept this limitation or go with another OS. If FreeNAS seems to work for you in all aspects minus this limitation you may want to just use the full-fledged FreeBSD install and do the setup yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.