Mount external share into TrueNAS Core

lleb

Dabbler
I have 2 TrueNAS Core systems connected via VPN. I would like to connect some of the pools from each system to the other, or would like to figure out howto mount on boot a share (NFS, or some other type native to BSD) without the use of a manual script run via cron.

Yes I can mount NFS shares via CLI, but those are only good until the next reboot of a system, than I have to manually mount those shares again. Not desired, nor ideal.

I looked into running TrueCommand, but that requires 3 sets of hardware not 2, and everything has to be on the same subnet, so no VPN, thus no remote location for the data points.

Sometime in 2022 they 2 TrueNAS systems will be in the same location, but that is still only 2 sets of hardware not 3.

The data sets (pools) that are looked to be shared between the 2 systems are only semi-redundant. This is not a mirroring setup. It is a data pool sharing system. Data on TN2 and TN1 is not 100% the same. That is intentional, thus data on TN2 might be needed by TN1 and vis a vis.

What are the best options for this type of connected data sharing?

Thank you

I have 2 TrueNAS Core systems connected via VPN. I would like to connect some of the pools from each system to the other, or would like to figure out howto mount on boot a share (NFS, or some other type native to BSD) without the use of a manual script run via cron.

Yes I can mount NFS shares via CLI, but those are only good until the next reboot of a system, than I have to manually mount those shares again. Not desired, nor ideal.

Whats wrong with doing this with a cronjob @Reboot or a post init script/command? This is how I do it. Works great. I am however not wiring over VPN the machines are right next to each other, but I dont see the matter. Survives reboots and upgrades mounts without fail as long as the other server is on.

Youll literally take the command you are using to mount the share manually and add it to in GUI Tasks>Init/Shutdown Scripts. Add a post init command, the exact command you are using to mount manually and save it. Thats it.

lleb

Dabbler
John Digital, that is an option, but I would prefer a more native option from TrueNAS and native to the ZFS file system instead of mounting a NFS share.

Would you mind posting your scripts?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I looked into running TrueCommand, but that requires 3 sets of hardware not 2, and everything has to be on the same subnet
I think you're thinking of clustering, which only works with SCALE--CORE doesn't (and, IIRC, will never) support clustering.

lleb

Dabbler
danb35, you are correct i do not want to deal with clustering. is TrueCommand capable of performing the sharing as I desire?

lleb

Dabbler
got ya, so scripting it is. Many thanks for the info. have a great rest of the year.