ZFS Replication to and from remote truenas

mihaist

Cadet
Hello,

This might seem a bit weird but bear with me.
I have 2 TrueNAS instances installed on top of Dell servers. The 2 servers are in different locations that are connected via a site-to-site IPSec tunnel.
Each location has an app that scans 3d models and saves them on a single target, in this case a TrueNAS share. But because the apps can only save on one location, there are 2 sets of data ( folders with jpegs ), one in each location. So, for example, if I were to scan something in location A, when I move to location B I would have to connect to the app on location A to view the scan. The app is inflexible and already talked to the developers, they would not hear me.
I was asked to somehow unify these 2 sets of folders. I was thinking of setting up ZFS replications on both of them for those datasets.
So, let's say the app in location A writes data, and the app in location B writes data, a snapshot is made on A, the replication starts and B receives all new A files. Similarly, after this is completed the direction changes and A receives all new B files.
I am not interested in real time replication, but if I could aggregate the data every 30 minutes that would be a win.

Can something like this be possible and also be sort of reliable?
Pros and Cons for this implementation?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

sretalla