Mount discs at a given time

WhiteTiger

Explorer
I would like to keep some disks offline, for example two internal and one external on USB, and take them online at a certain time.
How can I do?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
FreeNAS isn't designed for this.

What might be possible depends on your concept of "offline".

Are these going to be powered on all the time? That fails many definitions of "offline", but you might be able to do that and just have a cron script to import the pool at the desired time.

If they're not going to be powered on all the time, you'd be better off having the operator coordinate with the NAS when the disks are attached and powered on.

WhiteTiger

Explorer
FreeNAS isn't designed for this.

What might be possible depends on your concept of "offline".

Are these going to be powered on all the time? That fails many definitions of "offline", but you might be able to do that and just have a cron script to import the pool at the desired time.

If they're not going to be powered on all the time, you'd be better off having the operator coordinate with the NAS when the disks are attached and powered on.

My idea might be that some discs are connected and configured, but not mounted.
Obviously in this case they are not accessible to users or to the same services as the NAS, for example they are not accessible for backup.
However, a script could mount them and this script can be started at a certain time or launched by a service.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Just out of curiosity: What is the overall goal behind this idea?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
My idea might be that some discs are connected and configured, but not mounted.
Obviously in this case they are not accessible to users or to the same services as the NAS, for example they are not accessible for backup.
However, a script could mount them and this script can be started at a certain time or launched by a service.

Okay, so disks just sort of standing by. You can implement a script to do whatever you'd like and call it from cron ("scheduled task"). It won't really be easy to have it do anything NAS-y, but you could use it for making a backup copy of data or something like that.

WhiteTiger

Explorer
Okay, so disks just sort of standing by. You can implement a script to do whatever you'd like and call it from cron ("scheduled task"). It won't really be easy to have it do anything NAS-y, but you could use it for making a backup copy of data or something like that.
Great!
The first time the disks are online I want to create SMB folders, configure them in Mirroring or activate other services on them.
Obviously services not shared with the other disks.
When I take the disks offline, these services are obviously not accessible.
The important thing is that I do not lose the configuration and that they become available again when the disks come back online.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Maybe look here for some inspiration:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
FreeNAS/TrueNAS is not going to be able to watch for these drives to "become available" and magically start SMB or other services on them; that's simply far outside the design goals.

However, there is a full API, so the same script that you use to bring the drives online could also talk thru the API to request a new SMB share (etc) to be created. Obviously you would also need a "shutoff" script that reversed all the steps.

As @sretalla notes, this is not entirely unheard-of.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You don't necessarily need to remove or re-create the shares...

If you just yank out (export) a pool, the shares from it remain (although the user experience of trying to access it at that point may not be pretty... probably timeouts and other errors), when you re-attach (import) it again, all the shares would start working as before.

If you want to smooth the user experience, you'll need to master the APIs for share creation and removal as @jgreco mentions.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If you just yank out (export) a pool, the shares from it remain (although the user experience of trying to access it at that point may not be pretty... probably timeouts and other errors), when you re-attach (import) it again, all the shares would start working as before.

saturday-night-live-maya-rudolph.gif

WhiteTiger

Explorer
Maybe look here for some inspiration:

The document reported does not help me much.

The goal is to make backups and then keep them offline to avoid accidental loss, ransomware and other problems.

The management of removable disks or tape with cartridges cannot be taken into consideration, as well as for the cost, especially because there is not one person to take care of it.
So everything has to be automatic.

In practice, 5 HDDs are online and with the services fully functional.
At a predetermined time a script mounts two other HDDs already configured but kept offline.
Once these are online too, the first 5 HDDs will be backed up on these two.
At the end of the backup, the two HDDs are placed offline again.

So the folders on the "offline" disks must already be created.
Any commands to be executed to make them accessible can be placed in the script.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I hope you're not expecting someone to have already written the exact thing you want?

The link @sretalla provided includes a lot of the general stuff you'd need, but how exactly you want to go about your particular solution may be somewhat different.

There is no such thing in FreeNAS as "already configured but kept offline"; the middleware expects a pool to be mounted and usable. You can either run your "offline" stuff entirely yourself with scripting as @sretalla linked to, or you can create scripts that use the API to import your pool (making them online), configuring a SMB share or running rsync or whatever, and then exporting the pool when done, as I suggested above. If you don't care to have this be accessible by Samba, and it sounds to me like you don't, then the stuff @sretalla pointed at strikes me as a plausible starting point for your project.

sretalla