Motherboard suggestions for 2.5 intel ssd dc p4500 nvme

redcar

Cadet
I'm new to FreeNAS I'm looking for something low TPD.

SLOG 2x onboard m.2 nvme ? Maybe PCIe not sure on size needed.
BOOT 2x sata samsung 860 pro 256gb
DISKS 4x 2.5" Intel SSD DC p4500 nvme 4tb

I'm also open to any suggestions on the drives.

redcar

Cadet
From the hardware guide the SLOG needs a raid card with cache/battery. Would the disks need to be on this same card maybe a 2nd channel?

I have also need the intel p4500 attached directly to the motherboard using U.2 break out cable.

ChrisReeve

Explorer
First of all, I'm not sure if you need SLOG if you are going to run 4x P4500 in a pool. SLOG is only beneficial for synchronous writes. Most "typical" usecases, like SMB shares, jails, will do asynchronous writes, which means the SLOG will not do anything at all.

For example, my usecase for SLOG is running VMs off of an iSCSI running on a RAIDz2 HDD pool. Hard drives have poor sync write performance (Stux' testing shows write performance as low as 5 MB/s without SLOG), which is a usecase where you will see huge benefits from a SLOG device. But as you already mentions, you absolutely need power loss protection, which your P4500 drives have, but most consumer SSDs do not have.

Also, I am unsure if you actually need SLOG at all when running an SSD pool. SSDs are performant for sync writes as well (which is why they are used as SLOGs in the first place), as opposed to hard drives. This means that the only potential performance boost from a SLOG will be for sync writes, again, which most usecases are not, and in this case, the performance boost will be far less substantial than if your pool was hard drive based.

My main usecase is just storing/accessing a large media library, a usecase where I see no performance increase at all (as expected). For running VMs off the same pool (RAIDz2), I see huge performance gains, but I have chosen not to do this anyways, as this makes every VM dependant on freeNAS being online).

redcar

Cadet
I'm going to use this for file sharing, backup, osx time machine backups. I have a router to deal with the other things jails most commonly used.

Had to google that.

I'm looking to move large files quickly on and off the freenas. Then at night have an off site amazon glacier backup run if possible.

It seems I could use RAIDz2 as the drives are so fast?

What I'm confused on is do I need a raid card or does freenas do this?

Thanks for the input!