BUILD Mobo for 12 Bay Chassis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Hart

Dabbler
Hi All

I need a little help if possible please. I currently have a Synology RS814+ which is great IMO for what i need but this is my 3rd NAS drive due to upgrade and running out of space and the next model i started to look at for future proofing is about £2000-£3000 so i started to look into building my own as Ive been building PC's for years.

Any way I've found a chassis in the form of a Supermicro SuperChassis 826BE16-R920LPB and i need help with a motherboard as i don't fully understand the requirements of the backplane etc etc. My requirements are supporting 12 x 4-6 TB HDD's and will be used in a RAID 10 or similar, if 1 HDD dies i don't want to lose any data. I'm planning on using it for media storage and streaming, ill be using plex server which will be primarily direct streaming but want the ability to transcode if i start to play outside my LAN. Also will probably start off with 8 HDDs but can you expand a RAID 10 or similar or would i need to add a new volume when adding new HDD's

Thanks in advance and thanks for the guides that i have seen so far that have got me this far.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The only requirement is that you need an SAS controller.

Choose your favorite motherboard and SAS controller, from the list of stuff we know works, or get a motherboard with an LSI SAS 2308 controller onboard, like the X10SL7-F.

As for your storage questions, please read Cyberjock's guide (link is in my sig).

Robert Hart

Dabbler
Do you need one sas port from the mobo per sata port on the backplane? What's the recommended amount of memory? My synology runs fine with 2 gig but from what I've seen on here people use a lot more.

Thanks again

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Do you need one sas port from the mobo per sata port on the backplane? What's the recommended amount of memory? My synology runs fine with 2 gig but from what I've seen on here people use a lot more.

Thanks again

No, the chassis has an SAS expander. Read its manual for details.

As for the memory, please read the hardware recommendations sticky (link in my sig). The absolute minimum amount of RAM is 8GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.