Rack chassis recommendation for Supermicro X10SL7-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumee

Explorer
Hi,

Anybody has a recommendation for what rack chassis to use with X10SL7-F. I think a chassis which supports 12 disks will be sufficient for my needs. Is there any chassis which is low noise and not too power hungry (dont need redundant power supply)?

Thanks

jgreco

Resident Grinch
"Rack chassis" and "low noise" don't go together very well.

That's not really true. It's just that there has been an explosion of chassis in the last 10 years that maximize hard drive density, which typically requires high static pressure, which means noise.

Nobody really makes RMC's for home users because there is no volume and certainly no money in it. But you could take a 4U with 9 5.25 bays, find some "mobile rack" adapters with good passive airflow, and make a 9 drive unit that was reliant on the fan bulkhead for air movement, and use some quiet fans there. Getting rid of the need for high static pressure gets rid of the mandatory noise.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Unknown. But it's generally the sort of thing I was describing. You probably don't want to fill all the drive bays; stagger the drives.

trumee

Explorer
The advantage I see this has over Norco and Supermicro chassis is that the fan is right next to the drive cage. This should provide better cooling to the drives. In case of norco the mid wall fan possibly needs to develop a much higher negative pressure.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, right. If you can avoid cramming all the disks adjacent to each other and let air flow nicely around them, the whole air pressure thing goes out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.