Mixing 2,5 and 3,5 inch drives in RAID-Z2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kafar

Dabbler
Hello,

free place in my nas is going to end and I would add disks. In my case there is only place for two more 2,5 inch hard drives.
Is it advisable to mix hard drives due to form factor? At the moment 8x4 TB WD (WD40EZRX - 5400 rpm) hard drives work as RAID-Z2 in one zfs pool.
I think about two Seagate ST4000LM01 (4 TB 5400 rpm) disks. WD do not offer 2,5 inch disks with 4 TB capacity.
I would not want replace all disks against more capable ones.
I would then destroy old zfs pool and start from scratch with 10 drives also as RAID-Z2 and one zfs pool. I have backup on LTO.
My hardware is Asrock c2750d4i with disks mentioned above in silverstone DS380.

regards
kafar

Last edited:
There is no technical limitation or prohibition to mixing drive types.

The downside to mixing drives is performance which is often dictated by the slowest drive or the slowest drive path.

That said, you'll probably never notice the performance difference. It's fine.

Cheers,
Matt

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I think about two Seagate ST4000LM01 (4 TB 5400 rpm) disks. WD do not offer 2,5 inch disks with 4 TB capacity.
These are estimates, but I thought you might want to know.
8 x 4 TB disks = 19.9 TB total with 15.8 TB usable
10 x 4 TB disks = 26.7 TB total with 21.2 TB usable

The extra capacity that this reconfiguration gives you will get you by for a while, but it is probably time to consider moving to larger drives for the entire pool or a larger enclosure so you can expand to more drives.
The Toshiba X300 6TB Hard Drive, Mfr. Part #: HDWE160XZSTA, appears to be the best value for your money right now.
You don't give a location, so I don't know if you can take advantage of this, but Best Buy has them for $169.99 right now.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshib...ffcode=pg199125&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

kafar

Dabbler
Hi Chris, hi Matthew,

thaks for your adwises.
At the moment I prefer the little solution. I do not expect my data to grow so fast.
The hard drive prices are at high level in Germany now.
I hope my Avoton processor do not die next days due to C2000 Intel problems. My nas does not work 24 hours a day.

Best regards
kafar

Status
Not open for further replies.