Missing files (sorta) post migration to FreeNAS 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorf

Dabbler
Howdy all. I previously was running my system on 9.10. All was very happy and my configuration was as such: I primarily use my nas for file sharing. Easy. And I ran a small jail for my plex server. I had created a dataset called "plex" and that path was used to create jail storage and attached to the plex jail.

For years, I have overlaid a CIFS share to that dataset from the NAS itself not from the plex server. That way I can drop movies and music into from other machines around the house. And from the FreeNAS portal I could see the data usage in the dataset. But not anymore.

After I updated to 11, I now see zero files through that CIFS share. They are all there because I can see them in the command line of the jail. And of course my plex server still works. Any idea what has happened and how I can expose the files again? If I delete the jail, can I get the files back?

For reference, my system:

Build FreeNAS-11.1-U1
Platform Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2750 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 16318MB

Last edited:

nojohnny101

Wizard
Welcome to the forums! First thing is first, all posts on these forums should require some basic information such as:
- FreeNAS version
- full hardware specs
This helps us to help you.

After I updated to 11, I now see zero files through that CIFS share. They are all there because I can see them in the command line of the jail. And of course my plex server still works. Any idea what has happened and how I can expose the files again? If I delete the jail, can I get the files back?
Can you be a little more specific. Do you mean that when you browse a directory on your FreeNAS via CIFS (connecting through a Mac or windows?) the directory is empty even though you know files are there? And this was all working before you updated? Did you change anything else between the time you it was working and when it was not besides updating?

Gorf

Dabbler
hmmm I'll have to scrounge around and find the motherboard manufacturer and stuff if you want that detailed of info. But I added a little info that I got from the main page on the web gui.

The only thing that changed was the update to version 11. But yes. On my nas I created the following dataset through the gui /mnt/vol01/plex/movies:

0zCaJlu.png

What's odd here is that the gui shows the correct size for the dataset "plex" but not for the subs underneath it.

From my network that is available via \\nas2\plex but as you can see here, it is empty of files.

WUf2CKq.png

and in my jail I mounted it like so and you can also see that from within the jail the exact same files are completely visible.

Wcxmadt.png

9aNl30Y.png

Nick2253

Wizard
Are movies/music/tv sub datasets? My guess is that all the data is in a subfolder of the plex dataset, and when the dataset is getting mounted, it's being mounted at that location and hiding the folder. Some order of operations thing is probably what is resulting from you seeing the subfolder in the plex jail.

Can you do an ls -la from the plex dataset folder (on the FreeNAS proper)?

Gorf

Dabbler
Like I said from the NAS itself and from the CIFS share, nothing is visible:

root@NAS2:/mnt/vol01/plex # ls -la
total 19
drwxrwxrwx 6 plex-jail HomeUsers 6 Nov 12 21:05 .
drwxrwxrwx 13 root wheel 13 Jan 26 19:15 ..
drwx------ 4 geoff HomeUsers 4 Nov 12 21:05 .Trash-1000
drwxrwxrwx 2 plex-jail HomeUsers 2 May 9 2017 movies
drwxrwxrwx 2 plex-jail HomeUsers 2 Apr 23 2017 music
drwxrwxrwx 2 plex-jail HomeUsers 2 Apr 23 2017 tv
root@NAS2:/mnt/vol01/plex # cd movies/
root@NAS2:/mnt/vol01/plex/movies # ll
total 0

My real concern here is not losing the content. If I had to delete the jail and start over I would. But i'm worried that in this state, I will lose the files.

Nick2253

Wizard
Try running zfs unmount vol01/plex/movies. This will unmount the movies sub-dataset (no data is lost, the dataset is just unmounted and can easily be remounted with the zfs mount command). I believe that the command is correct, but I'm might have the path slightly wrong. It might need to be vol01/vol01/plex/movies because of how FreeNAS creates a top-level dataset named the same as the pool. I'm not at a FreeNAS system that I can play with right now.

Once that's done, ls -la /mnt/vol01/plex/movies and let's see what we get.

Gorf

Dabbler
I meant to follow up on this. unmounting the sub datasets seemed to do the trick. I'm not sure why/how I set that up like that or why it worked before, but i can definitely see the files now. So thanks for the help there.

Nick2253

Wizard
You will want to move those files into the proper dataset. The easiest way to do that is dismount the dataset, rename the movies folder (you can use mv to do this), remount the dataset, and then copy the files over from the renamed folder into the dataset.

Status
Not open for further replies.