Missing drives on JBOD

JHKing42

Cadet
Morning everyone. I am a newbie to TrueNAS and am having an issue.

1. I have a Lenovo M-900to which I added a 2TB SSD M.s drive, a 2 TB HDD and 32 GB ram and installed TrueNAS Core 13. All of that was perfect. I also changed IP's to a static and everything is good to go. Nothing has been touched to the default install at this time. I also have a 5 drive ORICO JBOD bot populated with 1 8TB and 3 4TB drives. The 8TB is in the top slot ( might be important. )

2. Under Disks, I am seeing the HDD and the SSD but only the 8TB drive from the JBOD box.

3. during boot, the hardware sees the JBOD drives, and as TrueNAS is booting, it appears to be reading the others, but they will not show up in the Disks area.

Ok, I want to know, what commands on the cli can I use with the TrueNAS OS? I have tried all the linux ones I know and haven't found anything on the inter webs.
Also, will TrueNAS even work with a JBOD device?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

John

JHKing42

Cadet
Interesting.... I swapped a 4TB drive into the top slot and now that is the drive showing....
Is there a TrueNAS setting somewhere I need to set?
Like I said, the BIOS reads all drives so that's not the issue

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have tried all the linux ones I know and haven't found anything on the inter webs.
That is because TrueNAS CORE is based on FreeBSD, not Linux.

Is there a TrueNAS setting somewhere I need to set?
Like I said, the BIOS reads all drives so that's not the issue
Not that I'm aware of. You might want to change to TrueNAS SCALE which is Debian (Linux) based. It has different drivers that might recognize the JBOD.

As for the JBOD box, you should provide the exact model number, also how does this interface with the computer?

Last thing to which you may already know but JBOD is frowned upon for this kind of project. Nothing physically prohibits you from doing it however a single drive failure means total data loss. Just wanted to make sure you know the risk.

NugentS

MVP
Its almost certainly a USB device - most Orico 5 bay units I can find are USB.
If I am right - then this is expected (if perhaps unwelcome) behaviour. The USB device can send the same serial number for each drive - meaning that TN only sees one drive. Also USB devices like this are highly not-reccomended and will likley at an inconvenient point in the future eat your data.
USB as single drives in a pool of their own are OK as backup devices - but nothing more

joeschmuck

Old Man
The USB device can send the same serial number for each drive - meaning that TN only sees one drive.
Ah, one of those serial number issues. If that is the case, SCALE may not work either.

JHKing42

Cadet
Yeah, a quick test of Scale is the same. Open Media Vault sees them all as individual drives. and Proxmox does as well. I may try running TrueNas as a VM. see if that works

joeschmuck

Old Man
Virtualizing TrueNAS can be tricky and you are already not using recommended hardware. Hopefully you will not be placing important data on this system due to it being a high risk of any disk failure causing data loss. If you are just playing around, that is fine but to trust data will be safe, nope, not in this configuration.

Best of luck to you.

NugentS

MVP
Thanks everyone, I will investigate Scale.
Its very unlikley to work with scale either (assuming I was right). Basically you are using the wrong kit