minio S3 loses configs on restart

gary_1

Explorer
Running s3 service and creating users/policies via minio mc client for example with:

./mc admin user add nas-s3 user1

Will create a user that can be seen via "user list" and the relevant configs can be
seen with the s3 service directory:

[root@nas ~]# ls /mnt/tank/services/s3/.minio.sys/config/iam/
format.json groups policies policydb users

Creating groups and IAM resource policies all works fine. However, whilst these settings
persist after stopping the service, they appear to be removed when the s3 service is started again.

Upon restarting the service, everything in the "iam" dir except "format.json" has been removed
and users no longer have access to their buckets until recreated via "mc" cli again.

I've not used minio outside of TrueNAS, so I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing to
ensure IAM policies persist through restarts, or if this is a quirk/bug with how TrueNAS is using
it?

Anyone else run into this or have any suggestions for how to resolve it?

gary_1

Explorer
Just as an extra bit of info on this, it seems if you use the "mc" util to restart minio that does not cause a wiping of all the IAM profiles. It appears to only wipe after stopping then starting again. Still not clear if this is a minio issue or an issue with TrueNAS' usage of it though :(

travnewmatic

Cadet
i dont have a solution but experience this lack of persistence too.

i have a few users, and a few policies setup for different buckets.

my users and policies are lost when i reboot truenas.

my config is not so much, but it would certainly be more convenient to not have to recreate them.

andyshieh

Cadet
I am experiencing the same exact issue as well on TrueNAS-12.0-U6.
Just wondering if there is a solution to this or if this bug is planned to be fixed in the next update?

Many thanks.

travnewmatic

Cadet
I am experiencing the same exact issue as well on TrueNAS-12.0-U6.
Just wondering if there is a solution to this or if this bug is planned to be fixed in the next update?

Many thanks.
This is expected behavior apparently

Users added (and other configuration) to minio are not written into the truenas configuration, so it does not persist across reboots.

fdodd

Dabbler
Has anyone got a solution to this issue, as I noticed this but put it down to an error that was how I set up the system, but can not understand default is to drop the configuration on restart unless this is a method to protect data.

If you backup iocage mnt folder as alike ls /mnt/tank/services/s3/.minio.sys/config/iam/ can this be restored, But that would require restart of S3 services.

This happens that the S3 client to connect for backups loose connection.

fdodd

Dabbler
I am still looking for a solution on this, its not good to use in production if this comes about on restart of services or server.