MiniDLNA with multiple media folders on different disks/volumes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerevarine

Dabbler
First, I'm brand new to FreeNAS (and NAS/severs as a whole), and should be talked to like I know nothing, even though I'm not Jon Snow.

I have just about got my basic PC-linked storage needs sorted out, getting my spare-hardware-built NAS up and running with FreeNAS v. 9.2.1.7. It has four different disks, all of which have media on them, mostly in the form of videos. Getting it all accessible from my PC was no issue at all, and now I'm working on setting up a way to stream all videos to my iPhone over the network. Airplayer seems like an app for the job (haven't tried Plex yet), but it needs DLNA to work, so I'm woking on getting MiniDLNA set up.

My very first try got me as far as installing MiniDLNA, adding storage from ONE of the drives, starting the plugin up and connecting to it from the iPhone app. It started loading in the folders, so I instantly tried to add another storage in the jail, from another one of my drives, and this is where it got messed up.

Both storages looked active, but only the folders from the second drive were shown linked to in the jails/media folder (when I looked inside that from my PC). These did not show up in the app, that still only showed the first ones. And those could not be played, probably since they were no longer linked in the jail/media folder, meaning the app just showed old folders.

Have tried to find info on how to add multiple storage locations to the same media folder, but only found a few answers talking about "linking your VIDEO folder to media/v or media/videos or whatever, then your MUSIC folder to media/m or media/music etc.... And the issue is that I have four TV Show folders on four different drives (total of around 5-6TB). Then I have two for movies, and a couple more.

How do I add many different locations to one MiniDLNA jail without them bumping each other out or whatever they did the first time?

joeschmuck

Old Man
You cannot share media into the same folder within a plugin. For example, you cannot share /dev/drive1/video1 to /minidlna/media/, and /dev/drive2/video2 to /minidlna/media/. You must share it like this...

/dev/drive1/video1/ to /minidlna/media/video1/
/dev/drive2/video2/ to /minidlna/media/video2/

This issue isn't the files names, it's the destination directory cannot be the same place, it must be a sibdirectory of /media/ for each shared location.

Nerevarine

Dabbler
Thank you. Feel like an idiot for not trying that sooner. I did figure it out however and it's up and running now. Switched to Plex though, since I needed built in transcoding for my mobile devices. Works like a charm. Media spread out on 4 different drives, all added together in TV Shows library in Plex. Accessible from any of my devices locally or remotely. And smooth playback. Couldn't be happier with this.

Next adventure - to figure out how to use torrents without all traffic passing through my Windows PC... Will look for info, but if anyone happens to know a link to a good tut/guide, please post, and I'd be forever grateful. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.