minidlna: can't see new added subfolder

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolex

Dabbler
Hello all,

I've successfully installed minidlna a few months ago. Some days ago I've added a new subfolder to my pictures folder. Unfortunately I can't see that new subfolder on my dlna devices but the other subfolders are visible. The new subfolder's permission are the same as the other subfolders. Restarting of the server didn't help. Is there anything I have forgotten to configure?

Thanks for helping.

Br

P.S. My FreeNAS version is 9.2.1

coolex

Dabbler
Here are some details about my settings:
I have added a storage with these parameters:

Source: /mnt/volume1/media
Destination: /media
File System: nullfs
Create Directory: checked
Mounted?: checked

joeschmuck

Old Man
Are you by chance sharing two folders with /media? Let me ask this another way... In your MiniDLNA configuration you are sharing /media. In the left column under Jails - > minidlna -> Storage. Do you have more than one share listed?

Also, you said you added a subfolder to your pictures directory, could you write the file structure or post a screen shot of the file structure?

coolex

Dabbler
Hi joeschmuck,

thanks for your reply.
I have only one storage in my minidlna share (/media).
The structure is actually very simple. In /media have a folder "fotos". The folder "fotos" has subfolder for every year, e.g. "2012", "2013" and the new subfolder is "2014". I can't see this new subfolder "2014" on my dlna devices (I tried different) but the other subfolders like "2012" and "2013" I can see on the dlna devices.

joeschmuck

Old Man
That is a very odd problem. I'm sure it's something simple but it's difficult to troubleshoot when I can't see it myself.

Lets try this... Could you ensure that you do not have any spaces in the "2014" folder name? Maybe just rename it.
Next in the GUI click on the Jails icon and you will see a listing of your jails. Click on the minidlna_1 jail. At the bottom of the screen click on the Shell icon (the right one). Next type
Code:
cd media
ls

Based on the info you provided you should see the "fotos" directory listed. Next type
Code:
cd fotos
ls

And now you should see your 2012, 2013, and 2014 directories. If you do not them let me know the results. If you do see 2014 then continue with the next one.
Code:
cd 2014
ls

And did you have a listing of media here? If yes then the media should be displayed. If no media is listed here then maybe you need to check your Source: /mnt/volume1/media/fotos/2014/ to ensure there is valid media listed.

Report back what you find. I have no idea if you want to do this but if this doesn't work out, I am available to use TeamViewer if you like and we can coordinate a time. It should only take me 10 minutes tops to figure it out.

Also, I have a custom build of minidlna which auto-updates. It works fairly well, if you want it. It works with 9.2.1 through 9.2.1.x. We should fix your current problem first and if you wanted to use the custom build, just look for the thread I posted on it.

EDIT: What devices are you trying to look at the photos on? Although I doubt it's the device you are trying to view your photos on, if the photos are a different format then it's possible the display device cannot display them. But normally they would still be listed.

coolex

Dabbler
Hi joeschmuck, I appreciate your answer. Many thanks.

Using the terminal/shell I can see all my subfolders (2012, 2013, 2014). They look absolutely the same as the others (rights, owner, etc.).
I guess the problem is that the minidlna database/library has to be rebuild. I renamed an existing subfolder and tried to see the change on my dlna devices but there was no change (old name of subfolder).
I use the app ArkMC on my iPhone and iPad and I have a blueray player with dlna.

So, how can I rebuild the minidlna database/library? I couldn't find any tutorials how to do it on my FreeNAS.

joeschmuck

Old Man
In the MiniDLNA configuration page there is an item called "Rescan on (re)start", check that box. Now when you restart the MiniDLNA plugin it will be forced to rescan the database. I hope it was that simple.

jeremyjo

Dabbler
I have a similar problem: I've tried MiniDLNA several times on FreeNas(Latest stable build).
The Sharp TVs and the Western Digital WDTV Live can SEE that there is a DLNA server by the correct name, but none of them can see any media.
I cannot find anywhere, step by step directions to get MiniDLNA working in FreeNAS.
I could use some help if you're willing.

Thanks

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have a similar problem: I've tried MiniDLNA several times on FreeNas(Latest stable build).
The Sharp TVs and the Western Digital WDTV Live can SEE that there is a DLNA server by the correct name, but none of them can see any media.
I cannot find anywhere, step by step directions to get MiniDLNA working in FreeNAS.
I could use some help if you're willing.

Thanks
You likely have one of the following issues:

1) You did not share your media (look at the Jails ->minidlna_1 -> Storage)
2) Your media format is not compatible with either of your devices.

To find step by step instructions, do a search for minidlna and my postings. I have it in more than one place. Also there is a custom build of MiniDLNA which is also listed in the forums by myself, you just need to locate it.

coolex

Dabbler
Hi joeschmuck

I did the change but now it's even worse. The folders 2013 and 2012 disappeared on the DLNA devices. :-(

coolex

Dabbler
This is strange, but after restarting the server twice and waiting for about 2 hours I can see everything. I expected to see everything immediately.
Do you have any idea about this behaviour?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Try this...

In the MiniDLNA setup, Auxillary Parameters box add the following:
Code:
notify_interval=60

This "should" toss out a broadcast message letting devices on your network know MiniDLNA is present. I believe this value is in seconds. The default value is just under 15 minutes.

Let me know how it works.

coolex

Dabbler
I changed the parameter.
Since I also set the "Rescan on (re)start" parameter most of the directories were not visible on my DLNA devices after starting the server. Every 60 second I was able to see one more directory, e.g. 2009 then 2010 then after 60 seconds 2011 then 2012. But I have many other media stuff on my server I took about an hour to see everytyhing I have (music, videos, etc.). But this is actually not a good solution always to wait about an hour after restarting the server to access all directories. As I see there is no chance to see immediate changes on the server but to wait?

Btw. What is the difference between the parameter "Discover interval (seconds)" and "notify_interval"?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Btw. What is the difference between the parameter "Discover interval (seconds)" and "notify_interval"?
Damn, you got me! It's the same thing. Don't ask my why I didn't just tell you to change the Discover Interval, I was thinking old school I guess. So you could delete the notify_interval entry you added and just change the Discover Interval to 60 seconds or what ever you desire.

As for how long it takes to scan your files, that entirely depends on how many files you have to scan and how fast your FreeNAS system is. Now if you tell me you only have 500 pictures and 20 movies and 500 songs, then I'd say you have an issue. but if you tell me you have thousands of files to scan, then you are stuck with it with respect to MiniDLNA.

You can use Plex which also has a built in DLNA server, you just need to enable it. The good thing about Plex is you can setup a time for the server to rescan your files. You can try this to see if things work faster.

The other option you have is to setup more than one DLNA server. Maybe you can setup on for music, one for photos, and one for video. Let me know the number of files you are trying to serve up, broken down by video, music, and photos. I'll help you get through this easily enough. It would be good to know if you were able to download the custom MiniDLNA plugin as this will cause a rescan of your media whenever there is a change and it requires no interaction on your part. If you can't get it, PM me your email address and I'll send it as an attachment.

coolex

Dabbler
@joeschmuck
Thank you very much for your great support!
I will go for minidlna. So, if I do changes to my data/folders I will simply let rebuild the database. I can leave with this solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.