Mini ITX build on a budget, will it FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alkazar

Cadet
Hello,

I have gathered spare parts in order to build my first backup system. I don't plan on doing anything fancy. I just want ZFS, redundancy and encryption. I am an experienced Linux user but have no experience with FreeNAS (or bakcup in general as a matter of fact). Here are the parts:

MB+CPU
: 1 × ASRock Q1900DC-ITX
RAM: 2 × Kingston ValueRAM SO-DIMM 4 Go DDR3 1333 MHz CL9 SR X8
HDD: 2 × Western Digital Red 3 TB HDD 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64 MB Cache 3.5
USB: 1 × Kingston Digital 16 Go DataTraveler USB 2.0

Will it FreeNAS ?

On the other hand (it's problably not the right place to ask, so feel free to point me to the right (sub)forum) : I do not want to connect this backup system to the Internet, can FreeNAS operate as an offline backup system ? (where I would have to physicaly connect devices in order to save data)

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Alkazar

Dice

Wizard
Will it FreeNAS ?
Not within standard recommended hardware. Have a read through the hardware recommendations guide.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

I do not want to connect this backup system to the Internet, can FreeNAS operate as an offline backup system ? (where I would have to physicaly connect devices in order to save data)
Offline - yes, with the exception of updates.
Physically connect drives to the machine for offloading of data can be done, but requires some CLI-fu before done. It is ...not built in as a "easy to use feature" by any means. Arwen has a guide in the resource section I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.