Build on a budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahkan

Cadet
Hi everyone and sorry for dropping in like that.

I've read a couple of these "Wil it run"-threads and all of these builds are pretty overpowered for a system I have in mind (at least I think). I'm planning to build an almost dead silent build for a simple home media streaming machine as well as netwok attached mass storage. For that purpose I've been running a WD MyCloud Mirror for the past 2 years.
Now I'm not unsatisfied with that but there are some features I'm missing and one of them is pretty much crucial for me by now. Running qbittorrent in the background all the time. On the WebBased page I could set up an app but I'd like to stick qith qbit for several reasons.

For that reason I was planning to build a low cost, low power-consumption und silent machine and while planning that I stumpled upon FreeNAS. The Build I had in mind was reasonable enough to do what I want (or so I thought) so I'll share those few parts and hope you can help me out if it'll run with these specs.
~ 63€ - Motherboard ASRock J3355B-ITX
~ 62€ - PSU 300W be quiet! SFX Power 2
~ 40€ - Case Sharkoon QB ONE < No amazon-link available
~ 115€ - RAM G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600
~ 12€ - BOOT DRIVE SanDisk CruzerEdge 16GB

I'd attach my existing 2x 3TB WD RED from the aforementioned existing NAS into this system. I'm aware that this RAM is no ECC-Ram and the picked boot-drive won't be as fast as an SSD. Considering I only have 2 SATA-ports on this motherbord I'd need to go that way or buy an extra more expensive expansion card.
Anything else needed to get this machine running is already in my posession.

Would it even be possible to have an instance of qbittorrent running on FreeNAS? Or do I need to find an altogether different solution?

Thanks for taking the time and replying.

Kind regards
Wahkan

m0nkey_

MVP
If all you're doing is serving up media using Plex or something and running qbittorrent, then you'll do fine. If you expect to store important documents, family photos, home videos, etc. then go with something more server class. With the hardware you've selected, just don't expect fantastic performance (this is why a recommended hardware guide is available).

The fact you're not using ECC RAM isn't a problem. There are others which will steer you to use ECC, but in your use case I don't think it's necessary.

The only thing I would recommend is get a Intel NIC. Realtek NICs are known for poor performance.

Wahkan

Cadet
Hi and thanks for your input.

Are you recommending something more server class because of redundancy or pure performance? I've been able to store & stream media (usually ~500MB .mkv-files) from my NAS to my Tablet just fine until now and that NAS doesn't have a fraction of the power.
I'm not planning to store important documents / media on there, everything on my current NAS are files that won't be missed if they're gone.

I'll try to find a board with a Intel NIC then, thanks.

m0nkey_

MVP
Are you recommending something more server class because of redundancy or pure performance?
Mostly because of well known good hardware. It's hard to judge the budget builds sometimes, because manufacturers often use low quality parts and tend to cut corners.

If you're willing to take the risk, then go for it.

Inxsible

Guru
I'll try to find a board with a Intel NIC then, thanks.
If you do choose to go the non-ECC route, then you can still use the J3355B board. Just add an intel NIC card in one of the PCIE slots.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Check out the pre built solutions they go on sale sometimes and are about the same as your bud but 1000x better.

Wahkan

Cadet
Thanks for your replies everyone,

looking further into suitable hardware with low power-consumption on a reasonable price I found this: HP ProLiant Microserver
Upsides:
I can install ECC-RAM (and would need to since it only provides 4GB)
The Hardware is passively cooled which I was looking for

Downsides:
The CPU is bit less powerful but would suffice I guess
No native Intel NIC (but can be upgraded with a LP expansion card)
Drives not Hot-Swappable (But I wouldn't need that anyway)

As I read and understood the hardware used is more server grade instead of consumer grade and should handle a 24/7 profile just fine.
Do you think this could be a good choice? There are versions with a xeon out there but to three times the cost

gpsguy

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
T20, ts140, ml10 are the go to systems. Never buy something with realtek nic.

Depending on your needs a g3220 would be just fine if all you need is a file server anything more and the i3 or zeon version is what you need.

Inxsible

Guru
Depending on your needs a g3220 would be just fine if all you need is a file server anything more and the i3 or zeon version is what you need.
I agree with SnL here. ;)

Currently I have a G3240 in my FreeNAS box and it works fine for what I do with it. Check my signature for the complete specs. I run a max of 2 Plex streams. The box is also mounted on 3 of my other machines as NFS shares. Basic file server, Plex, Transmission and CouchPotato.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Downsides:
The CPU is bit less powerful but would suffice I guess
No native Intel NIC (but can be upgraded with a LP expansion card)
Drives not Hot-Swappable (But I wouldn't need that anyway)

As I read and understood the hardware used is more server grade instead of consumer grade and should handle a 24/7 profile just fine.
Do you think this could be a good choice? There are versions with a xeon out there but to three times the cost
It would be better to save a little longer until you can afford the proper system. If you buy something too weak, you will just need to spend more money to upgrade it or replace it.

Evertb1

Guru
Hi everyone and sorry for dropping in like that.

I've read a couple of these "Wil it run"-threads and all of these builds are pretty overpowered for a system I have in mind (at least I think). I'm planning to build an almost dead silent build for a simple home media streaming machine as well as netwok attached mass storage. For that purpose I've been running a WD MyCloud Mirror for the past 2 years.
Now I'm not unsatisfied with that but there are some features I'm missing and one of them is pretty much crucial for me by now. Running qbittorrent in the background all the time. On the WebBased page I could set up an app but I'd like to stick qith qbit for several reasons.

For that reason I was planning to build a low cost, low power-consumption und silent machine and while planning that I stumpled upon FreeNAS. The Build I had in mind was reasonable enough to do what I want (or so I thought) so I'll share those few parts and hope you can help me out if it'll run with these specs.
~ 63€ - Motherboard ASRock J3355B-ITX
~ 62€ - PSU 300W be quiet! SFX Power 2
~ 40€ - Case Sharkoon QB ONE < No amazon-link available
~ 115€ - RAM G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600
~ 12€ - BOOT DRIVE SanDisk CruzerEdge 16GB

I'd attach my existing 2x 3TB WD RED from the aforementioned existing NAS into this system. I'm aware that this RAM is no ECC-Ram and the picked boot-drive won't be as fast as an SSD. Considering I only have 2 SATA-ports on this motherbord I'd need to go that way or buy an extra more expensive expansion card.
Anything else needed to get this machine running is already in my posession.

Would it even be possible to have an instance of qbittorrent running on FreeNAS? Or do I need to find an altogether different solution?

Thanks for taking the time and replying.

Kind regards
Wahkan
You already received some good advice and comments. I just want to add my two cents. Does it need to be Freenas? When I started with Freenas it was because I wanted a fileserver with a solid and reliable file system. After a lot of reading and comparing I decided that Freenas offered what I wanted/needed. I stepped in with 9.x and did not look back because I liked it a lot. That being said I accepted that Freenas (and thus ZFS) comes with a price. You need to use hardware that is fitting for Freenas. And while you don't need to spend thousands you will have a hard time to find what you need for less then 300 euro and stay within the recommandations.

Personally, with your budget I would not try to build a Freenas box (my backupserver is lowbudget and based on Open Media Vault for just that reason).

Wahkan

Cadet
Thanks for your input everyone. After thinking about it I've decided to go with a used t20 system. I've got my eyes on one right now with a lot of additional hardware and RAM has already been extended to 16GB.

Whenever I'll start getting into FreeNAS I'll introduce myself properly and try to be a proper part of a give & take community. I was really surprised of how detailed your answers were and them not being like "Go use the search, dimwit" I really appreciate that.

Kind Regards
Wahkan

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.