Migration from CentOS 8 - faster than rsync?

trekkie

Dabbler
I have a centos server with a usb attached mediasonic RAID array. My array is full and I splurged and bought the mini xl+ to replace it. Since the storage is usb based I could plug it in but from what I’m reading since it’s ext4 it’s not really supported. Is there an option my searching is missing? It’s about 32 TB of data so an rsync would take a few days if not weeks over my gigabit network, so was just wondering if there were some other options I’m not seeing.

thanks

jgreco

Resident Grinch
What do you mean by "not really supported"?

iXsystems did not spam random bitflips into the kernel code. Either ext4 is there and it works fine or it isn't there and it doesn't work.

Don't get confused with the fact that it's a ZFS filer and the only filesystem it supports for the pool is ZFS. You'll never be able to make an EXT4 based pool. That doesn't mean other filesystems aren't potentially available and usable for import, and they'll be just as good as they are on any other Linux. Which is, to say, not that great, but not catastrophically bad either. :smile:

Two options I can see are:
  • Use rsync over SSH (or over module mode), and take a speed hit with the gigabit bottleneck.
or,
  • Create your pool in TrueNAS, then reboot into a Linux live ISO/USB with ZFS support, and proceed to rsync over the XFS-formatted USB drive to the ZFS pool, then reboot back into TrueNAS with your newly filled ZFS pool.
Option 2 would take more steps and can introduce some hurdles. Option 1 is more "to the point", but the transfer will take notably longer. However, even a USB drive can choke after a while, and you might check up on it to see it automatically "disconnected" with I/O errors.

Bikerchris

Patron
@trekkie I wonder if your can remove the drives from the USB caddy's (assumed) and plug direct into the SATA ports? If insufficient number available, get a LSI HBA to create as many as needed?

trekkie

Dabbler
@trekkie I wonder if your can remove the drives from the USB caddy's (assumed) and plug direct into the SATA ports? If insufficient number available, get a LSI HBA to create as many as needed?
Wish it was that easy, but the Mediasonic has a ROM based RAID algorithm so the drives are probably unrecognizable to Linux. It's not a big deal, was just seeing if there was another option. I was prepared for a long data migration.

Then I'll take the 8TB drives out of it and add it to the XL+ when it's done :)

Bikerchris

Patron
Wish it was that easy, but the Mediasonic has a ROM based RAID algorithm so the drives are probably unrecognizable to Linux. It's not a big deal, was just seeing if there was another option. I was prepared for a long data migration.

Then I'll take the 8TB drives out of it and add it to the XL+ when it's done :)
Ah. Oh dear, well very best of luck with the big migration :) I did 12TB the other day, relieved when done.