Import OMV Pool Best option?

WildSioux

Cadet
Hello,

This is my first post (apparently signed up a long time ago but never posted). When I say long time I think it is about 5 years when I was researching a home NAS. I ultimately decided on Openmediavault over FreeNAS mainly due to having used various Linux machines (Ubuntu, LinuxMint) and no experience with FreeBSD.

That machine has been chugging along without any problems for 5 plus years with OMV 4 sharing about 500 GB of personal files, photos and movies. Here are the specs:

Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5
Ram: 32gb ECC Ram
6 x Sata WD Red 4TB HDDs
1 x 128GB Sata SSD for OMV4 boot OS
Motherboard is a Supermicro (not sure what model)

It was my first NAS build and probably overbuilt for just serving files roughly 13.6 TB still available. The file system on the 6 WD HDDs is ZFS through the plugin.

I got a bit concerned a few months ago when my wife said she couldn’t access the server. I really haven’t logged in and updated the thing except for once maybe 3 years ago. This time it was still on but for whatever reason it lost network connectivity. So I shut it down and started it back up. Logged in and everything was good but had a bunch of updates. So I updated it without realizing that OMV is now up to version 6 now and 4 is not supported anymore. It updated some stuff and had a bunch of errors since they had moved a repo. Changed that and it still had errors including ZFS. Surprisingly we can still access the SMB share.

I had a Dell Optiplex 3060 Micro i5-8500T (6 core), 16gb ram with a 128gb M.2 drive just laying around. Ordered a M.2 WD Red 1TB drive, and one 2.5” WD Red 1TB Sata SSD. Bought a Sandisk 128GB USB drive and installed OMV6, ZFS plugin, and the flash drive plugin to reduce write. This was with the intention of backing up the main server. I did a Rsync pull from the main server. Managed to copy the 500gb of data. But the next day I couldn’t access the SMB share. Had to reboot and the overall system was buggy. I believe it was because I had it on the USB drive even though they recommend it with the USB flash plugin. This 3060 micro only has the internal M.2 and 1x sata for 2.5” HDD or SSD. Otherwise I would not be installing on a USB drive.

I remembered FreeNAS and found it to now be called TrueNAS. Saw they had the core and scale versions. Decided on the scale version since it is based on Linux. And the fact it has ZFS built in without a plugin was a plus. So I went to Microcenter and bought an external M.2 USB adapter. Got everything installed and it has been up and running. Did the same Rsync pull and copied 500gb. Have a few problems with some files not being accessible in LibreOffice. I think it is due to user permissions…don’t have the same problem on the other server SMB share.

So I’d like to Wipe the big server OS SSD clean and install TrueNAS scale. I have the backup of data on this Optiplex. But I’m not sure how Safe it really is and can’t access some of the LibreOffice files. What is the best option:

1. Unplug the 6 WD Red HDDs, install TrueNAS to the SSD, then plug in the 6 drives startup and hope everything is there in the original OMV ZFS pool?
2. Export OMV ZFS pool in OMV gui (no option other than I think a command), install TrueNAS and import that OMV ZFS pool?
3. Wipe the 6 disks in OMV, install TrueNAS, create new ZFS pool and then Rsync the data from the Optiplex?
4. Other option?

I’ve never done an export/import ZFS pool. I’ve read that you don’t need to export anything and it should be there in the new system after an import. I just don’t know with it being a OMV ZFS and different version from 5+ years ago.

I could also probably only get by with 3 of these WD Red HDDs leaving 3 of them unplugged reserved for a backup in the event one of the others die seeing they are 5 years old now. Right now I have the entire server shutoff and am using the Optiplex one.

Thanks for any help in what the best option would be to import the OMV ZFS pool or just wipe everything and Rsync the Optiplex data!