Migrating dataset from one zPool to another

georgelza

Patron
Hi all.

So after a fair amount of swearing and battling got my LSI card flashed... It's in, and I have 3 drives visible.

So I have 2 options,
#1 create a new Zpool, and then migrate the current dataset from my current zPool ("Tank") over to the new one.

#2 or add these 3 drives as a 2nd vDev to my current zPool ("Tank").

I'm leaning towards option #1
(The data thats in the dataset is documents, photos, software, leaving behind all the movies and music on dataset "media" located on zPool: "Tank")

comments.

if I go with option one, creating a zPool is easy enough, what would be the best way of moving the dataset from one Zpool to a 2nd and keeping all permissions/ACL's etc in place,

G

Mlovelace

Guru
if I go with option one, creating a zPool is easy enough, what would be the best way of moving the dataset from one Zpool to a 2nd and keeping all permissions/ACL's etc in place,

Code:
zfs snapshot -r pool/dataset@relocate
zfs send -R pool/dataset@relocate | zfs receive -v pool/dataset

georgelza

Patron
so decoding that, source pool is called "tank", dataset is called "home"
new pool is called "bunker"

zfs snapshot -r tank/home@relocate
zfs send -R tank/home@relocate | zfs receive -v bunker/home

would that be correct...
I assume I don't recreate "home" open the receiving pool.

G

Mlovelace

Guru
so decoding that, source pool is called "tank", dataset is called "home"
new pool is called "bunker"

zfs snapshot -r tank/home@relocate
zfs send -R tank/home@relocate | zfs receive -v bunker/home

would that be correct...
I assume I don't recreate "home" open the receiving pool.

G
That looks right.

You don't need to create the 'home' dataset in the bunker pool prior to sending. The zfs receive command will create the dataset in the target pool if it doesn't already exist.

sretalla