Where Are The Encryption Keys Stored

markds

Cadet
I was in the process of migrating my pools from legacy to native encryption and I came across an issue.

My assumptions:
1) If the encryption keys are stored in the TrueNAS config db and;
2) the config db is stored on the system dataset and;
3) its considered best practice to store the system dataset on the main (non-boot) pool (presumably as these have higher redundancy / durability)
4) the system dataset should be encrypted as it contains sensitive information

How do you:
a) is there an option to encrypt the system dataset? I only see an option set on which zpool the system dataset should reside.
b) if the system dataset can be encrypted, how does truenas load the decryption key from the db if its on an encrypted dataset.
c) if the system dataset is not encrypted, how can I ensure that the keys are not readable should one of the disks fail on the main pool?

rakor

Dabbler
Hey there I want to hang me in this thread. I have the same question. Where are the encryption-keys stored. As I understood, the keys are stored on the encrypted pool... So the pool could never be encrypted after reboot...
I saved the exported keyfile, but I really want to know how those keys are handeled.

Thanks for your help!

Stored on the boot-pool (in the plain). Otherwise, how else would the system be able to boot and proceed to automatically unlock the System Dataset (which is encrypted), if the key itself is stored on the encrypted System Dataset?

The path is /data/, which lives on the boot-pool. The file is freenas-v1.db which contains everything when you export your config file.

sretalla