Migrate to new boot disk

bignellrp

Dabbler
Hi,

I want to switch to use a usb flash drive instead of an SD card to boot freenas 11.

I have backed up my freenas.

what is the easiest way to migrate?

can I safely remove the sd card while freenas is running? Dd copy to the new usb. Then insert the usb and reboot?

they are different sizes so my be easier to install a fresh copy of freenas and restore the config to it from the backup?

advice needed to make this as quick and easy as possible.

thanks in advance

First make sure you have a config saved. Then do a fresh freenas install on your chosen boot device. Upload config. Reboot. Done.

johnnyspo

Dabbler
Hi,

I want to switch to use a usb flash drive instead of an SD card to boot freenas 11.

I have backed up my freenas.

what is the easiest way to migrate?

can I safely remove the sd card while freenas is running? Dd copy to the new usb. Then insert the usb and reboot?

they are different sizes so my be easier to install a fresh copy of freenas and restore the config to it from the backup?

advice needed to make this as quick and easy as possible.

thanks in advance

I agree with @John Digital. But do you have an active replication task? If so, you may run into issues after the upgrade to the new boot drives where the replication task fails. I am going through that now and have still not yet resolved the problem.

bignellrp

Dabbler
I agree with @John Digital. But do you have an active replication task? If so, you may run into issues after the upgrade to the new boot drives where the replication task fails. I am going through that now and have still not yet resolved the problem.

i don’t have any replication tasks but thanks for the warning.

I’ll try Johns method later and let you know how I get on.

Attachments

• E7366484-3917-4780-BBA8-2FBB399644F9.jpeg
    E7366484-3917-4780-BBA8-2FBB399644F9.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 418