Migrate pool from old 11.1 u7 to new TrueNAS machine

R.G.

Explorer
Be patient - I have to go (re)learn this stuff as I go. :smile: I have spent a couple of weeks researching how to move data from an older machine/pool to a completely new machine, disks, and pool. Does this make sense, or am I about to hose up the whole thing???

Old Machine ("OM") is FreeNAS11.1 U7; seven disks in raidz3, has run successfully for about seven years, through several FreeNAS upgrades. It's nearing full. It is backed up regularly by replication tasks to a different server.
New Machine("NM") is TrueNAS 12, fresh install. Just enough work on it to verify that it's installed, working, network responsive, etc. NM contains only eight larger blank disks, which are intended to be set up in raidz3.
Both machines are on server hardware, ECC memory, and so on, consistent with the hardware recommendations resources. Both connect and communicate on the house net. Each machine has two 1Gb network ports.

The scheme is
1. To leave both OM and NM connected to the house net so I can watch through their GUIs while this goes on;
2. To use a non-managed five port 1Gb switch to connect those second network ports on an isolated, temporary private network;
3. Then start the OM replicating its data into NM.
I ... think ... that this is faster, as it keeps all the data traffic off the house net.
The desired end result is NM containing all of OM's data in a bigger pool, on TrueNAS 12, and being configurable to take over the tasks that OM used to do.

Questions:
1. Will both 11.1 U7 and TrueNAS allow setting the second network interface to a hard-coded IP on the isolated switch's subnet, while still working on the house net?
2. Can I pour the data from OM to NM via replication on this isolated subnet?
3. Are there exposures to the data in OM while doing this?

All advice will be appreciated!