Migrate Iohyve (Bhyve) VM to UEFI VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

siconic

Explorer
I have been doing a ton of research, and I just cant figure out how to do what I want. Here is the scenario:

I created a web server (Webmin, PHPMyadmin, etc) Back in Freenas 9.10 when they added Iohyve integration, to get away from my Hosting company. It has 24 Virtual Hosts, a myriad of customizations, and the ZVOL is on my Main disk array. I have recreated every other Iohyve VM, since most of them were "simple". This one however would be a nightmare to migrate to a new VM, or recreate altogether.

So, I have 2 questions:

1. Can this VM be "migrated" to the new UEFI format in Freenas 11 in the GUI? I THINK it can be done by copying /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi to /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi, but my VM has grub, so all I see is /boot/grub.

2. If so, can can I also move it to another disk? Instead of /mnt/Main to say /mnt/www. I have some 15k SAS disks on the server I want to use for the database speed.

If I absolutely have no choice, it wont kill me, but I really would like to get it up to date.

Thanks!

siconic

Explorer
Ok, I think I figured out how to migrate the ZVOL:

1. Stop the VM

2. Show volumes - zfs list -t volume

3. Send a copy to the new ZFS Volume - zfs send MainArray/iohyve/WWW01/disk0 | zfs receive VM/www01

Anyone have any idea if this will work? I am unable to test it yet. Obviously, no one will be able to verify my volume names, but that should be the right ones.

From there, I should be able to attach it to a VM, and attach the Ubuntu Boot cd and run bott repair and select Grub UEFI???

scrappy

Patron
Yeah, you can use zfs send/recv to move the zvol anywhere you like. Just point bhyve to the new location in your VM disk settings.

This guide is what I used to fix my Ubuntu boot issues. No need to boot the install disc.

Stux

MVP
Are Yoh sure you don't need to take a snapshot first?

scrappy

Patron
Are Yoh sure you don't need to take a snapshot first?

whoops! getting ahead of myself, there.
ZFS send/recv isn't gonna do much good without creating a snapshot first.

siconic

Explorer
Why is the snapshot required? I copied it without one. Would it be better to move it?

Also, I checked your link, and Yes, I used that to fix an issue I was having with one of my other Ubuntu VM`s, but it doesnt work on this one.

Last edited:

scrappy

Patron
Why is the snapshot required? I copied it without one. Would it be better to move it?
Did you include zvol-name@<something> when you did zfs send/recv? That something would be the name of a snapshot.

Also, I checked your link, and Yes, I used that to fix an issue I was having with one of my other Ubuntu VM`s, but it doesnt work on this one.
Hmmm...I have done this on several Ubuntu VMs ranging from versions 16.04 LTS to 17.10. I have no idea why it wouldn't work for you.

siconic

Explorer
Maybe this will help:

I am running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on this VM. There is no /boot/efi. There is only /boot/grub. Inside grub, there are only some files, no sub-directories. All the fixes I see show that there is at least a /boot/efi location, and to copy a file.

scrappy

Patron
Maybe this will help:

I am running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on this VM. There is no /boot/efi. There is only /boot/grub. Inside grub, there are only some files, no sub-directories. All the fixes I see show that there is at least a /boot/efi location, and to copy a file.

Sorry to say I have no experience booting Ubuntu 14.04 on UEFI.

GRUB and BHYVELOAD boot loaders are in the feature list for FreeNAS 11.1 update due for release in 5 weeks (fingers crossed). While that won't help you today, there is a fix in the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.