Migrate from TrueNAS Scale --> TrueNAS Core

Vertex

Cadet
I got a little bit of hassle this weekend. initially I wanted to install TrueNAS Core, but unfortunately my backup data were on a EXT4 formated harddisk.
I did not expect that TrueNAS Core does not support EXT4 :frown: - my fault I should have checked it before, but EXT4 is so so common for me, that I was totally surprised by this issue. In the end I had to install TrueNAS Scale to solve the problem. Then I could mount my EXT4 backup harddisk and copy and setup anything.
But unfortunately I have to say, I do not like the user interface of TrueNAS Scale, it is much less intuitive than one of TrueNAS Core.

My big question now is, can I migrate back to TrueNAS Core ? Will it import the TrueNAS Scale configuration, datasets, users and shares ?
Does anyone has experience with that ?

Whattteva

Wizard
Datasets are on the pool, so no migration required. Users and shares aren't though. They're not hard to recreate honestly.

Vertex

Cadet
Datasets are on the pool, so no migration required. Users and shares aren't though. They're not hard to recreate honestly.
Sometimes things take an unexpected direction. A day after my post, three of my disks showed up a lot of checksum errors, especally one disk. They are old but I had no issues so far, when they ran in a Raid5. I immediately did a backup on a single vdev pool, bought new drives and installed TrueNAS Core now. @Whattteva You are right, the import of the backup pool went absolutely smoothly. And now everything runs perfectly fine. That was a littley rough and long journey for a "simple" upgrade, but in the end, everything is fine :smile: