Manage Permissions: Nested Datasets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oguruma

Patron
I use FreeNAS for my business and my family stuff. As it is right now, everybody has read/write/delete permissions, but as my children start computing, I am realizing that this isn't the best solution due to possible accidents.

I want a CIFS share that looks like this:

-FamilyShare <------- Only I can read/write/delete.
-DaughtersShare <------- Myself and my daughter (but not my son) can read/write/delete.
-SonsShare <-------- Myself and my son (but not my daughter) can read/write/delete.

I want the Kids' shares to be nested under FamilyShare, but only each individual child (and myself) can access their own specific folder.

diedrichg

Wizard
It looks like each individual is confined to their own share. I'd just create a dataset for each kid and give them their own SMB Share and then auto-mount their share on their device. They will only see their own dataset.

As for you, you'd have to mount all shares to have access. If that's not ideal then you'd have to do some dataset nesting:

Pool
...shared (SMB share, no permissions)
......Family (father permissions)
......Son (father/son permissions)
......Daughter father/daughter permissions)

nojohnny101

Wizard
If I am understanding what you want to do, it seems simple enough. As @diedrichg alluded to, just create a dataset for each person and make them the owner of it. You would also have to put yourself in a group and then use that group as the owner:group of each dataset.

The permissions for the owner would be full access and then for the group you could give yourself full access or just read access or whatever you want. This can all be accomplished through the GUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.