Make unused disk useful....

encee

Cadet
So, my problem started out with a degraded pool.

Freenas Version : FreeNAS-11.3-U2.1

When I got the alert about the degraded pool, I looked at the disks themselves and discovered that ad2 was missing from "camcontrol devlist". It just wasn't there to be seen.

Thinking I might have a dodgy cable (the system has been running untouched for 1 year +) I replaced both the power and data cable (SATA) to no avail. The system just wasn't seeing ada2.

I replaced ada2 with a new(er) drive of same capacity, after shutting down.

Upon reboot, I saw nothing new happening and it seemed like there was nothing going on. The disk, however, was now visible:

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 10.19.02 PM.png

But, when I look at the "Disks" option in "Storage" I see,

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 10.20.24 PM.png

It shows ada2 to be "unused".

I don't see any options to either:

1. Add it to pool1 (which is my main goal)
2. Make it "useful"

The disk was wiped with a third party utility outside of Freenas, which I understand has a wipe function built in. Do I need to format it, and if so with what file system?

I don't see any options to add this disk to my pool to fix the degrade problem.

Steps I've taken:

I've scrubbed the pool (pool1 - the only pool) twice with "zpool scrub pool1"

What am I missing, and thank you in advance for any pointers,

Encee

Yorick

Wizard
You need to look at your pool, not your raw disks. Find the defective drive, I expect it'll be shown as offline. Choose to replace it, and point FreeNAS at ada2. It should do the rest.
Storage -> Pools, then go to the gear icon and choose "Status". Arguably not the most intuitive UX. You can also get there from the Dashboard, gear icon on the Pool widget.
Then to the right of the disk that failed that should now show OFFLINE in the pool, choose "Replace"

encee

Cadet
Yorick,

Thank you for the

1. Super fast reply, and
2. The guidance

I followed your instructions and when I checked "zpool status" it informed me that it was "currently resilvering" so it's fingers crossed that when I wake up in the morning all will be back to as it was.

Thank you again, and have a great evening!

Encee