Mainboard recommendations for much RAM but low CPU power

ECC

Explorer
Hi,
Although my current NAS project is more or less complete, I'm still looking for a better/2nd NAS with improved HW for my purpose.

My current problem: I would like to max out RAM, however most UDIMM ECC Mainboard seem to have a limit at 64GB RAM (4x16GB). So I was thinking about going with registered RAM, but most Mainboards with registered RAM are designed for high Workload & huge CPU Power. Long story short: I'm searching for Mainboards with much RAM (>64GB) but with small CPU Power, eg like my current i3-7100T. As DDR3 registered RAM is really cheap compared with other RAM, this would be ideally.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Herr_Merlin

Patron

indy

Patron
NAS with improved HW for my purpose
And the purpose is?

How do you define "CPU power"?
If your system sits mostly idle the difference in power consumption between CPUs might not be as big as you think.

RAM uses roughly 2-3 W per 8 GB.
With 128GB you might be looking at up to 50W.

ECC

Explorer
Your issue is that those desktop CPU lines are not capable of more memory
Thank you, didn't think about that.
go enterprise with dual or single low tdp server CPU and a few hundert to tb of memory
So what would you suggest?
And the purpose is?
Atm I just use it for file storage (NAS). I'm planning on upgrading to 10G sometime, so my i3 7100T should be sufficient. But as the thumb rule says 1GB per TB, I want to plan for the future.

How do you define "CPU power"?
More or less the amount of cores/threads and tdp

With 128GB you might be looking at up to 50W.
therefore going with reg. RAM allows me to go with high capacity per module and therefore less modules for much RAM

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Any of the single socket 2011v2 supermicro boards on ebay will fit what you are looking for. You can find lower core count Xeon CPU's for next to nothing and you'll have the ability to run plenty of memory as you seek.

Reactions: ECC

Etorix

Wizard
The rule of thumb is just that: A rule of thumb. 64 GB RAM does not set a hard limit to 64 TB of storage.
It is also possible that a BIOS update enables 32 GB RAM modules for your motherboard—but 4*32 GB ECC UDIMM is not going to be cheap.
Old DDR3 Xeons are cheap but not strictly low power. Xeon D-15xx are typically low power (45W or less) but take DDR4 RDIMMs.