Mail users permissions don't allow rsync task to a second FreeNAS

AlcSi

Dabbler
Hi, this might be more of a basic UNIX*/POSIX basic understanding question, but please have mercy and shed some light on my issue ;-)

Here's the situation :
  • One mail server (MX1) has Maildir storage.
  • It's /home is mounted with NFS on a first FreeNAS (NAS1), so all Maildirs are directly written to this NAS1.
This works perfectly.
Now, we have a second FreeNAS (NAS2) that rsync's (with a Pull module) the data to a dataset with identical name.
This method works for all other datasets that are directly used as CIFS shares by end users on NAS1.

As the mail users on MX1 don't exist on NAS1, I realized that when doing 'ls -l' on NAS1, permissions are shown with the GID number only. This does not seem to create any issues on the MX1, but I wonder if it mixes things up (what if a GID was to match a existing GID on NAS1?).

Now, the real issue is that when making the rsync to NAS2, NAS2 is not allowed to copy the files that have 700 or 600 as permissions (it will copy files and folders with group read permissions though).

Should I simply give read permissions to group to all Maildir folders ?
And finally, should I take care about this potential GID 'mismatch' between MX1 users and NAS1/2 users ?

D

dlavigne

Did you decide upon a solution for this?

If not, is the number of users reasonable enough to create on both systems? If so, you could use the "Allow repeated GIDs" option for the group and add users to the group.