Problems with remote SMBFS share, unable to rename/move or delete files/folders.

rockhead006

Dabbler
Hi all,

Ok, so I have my main FreeNAS box (named: NAS), and I also have 3 separate smaller non-FreeNAS boxes for a backup of the FreeNAS drives. Named: NAS1, NAS2 and NAS3 (these are D-Link DNS320 NASes).

I currently backup my FreeNAS box using a Windows program called FreeFileSync, which is fine, but it copies that files via the Windows system to do the transfers. Which means it's 1/2 the speed it could/should be (as the files are copied in to the Windows box, and back out to the NASes).

So I wanted the FreeNAS box to be able to do the transfers directly between FreeNAS and the NAS1/2/3 boxes.

So I mounted the NAS1/2/3 shares to FreeNAS, using mount_smbfs. And they mount fine.
From the FreeNAS console/command line, I'm able to browse, create, edit, move, rename, delete files. So I have full control.
The problem is, when I browse to my FreeNAS shares from a Windows machine, and try to browse to these mounted folders, while I am able to browse, create and edit files.
I am not able to rename/move or delete them. When I try, the Windows window just freezes.

It could be a permissions thing. But even when a connect to/browse my freenas box logged in using the root account, the same thing happens (the windows freezes).
From checking the folder permissions in Windows, the owner is my (freenas) account, the group is my (freenas) group. The owner has 'Full Control' permissions, and the group only has 'Read, Write, Execute' permissions. Also 'Everyone' has 'Read, Write, Execute' permissions. I'm guessing I am falling into either the Group, or the Everyone group - and not being recognised as the 'Owner' when connecting to the FreeNAS share.

Here is one of the mount commands:
mount_smbfs -I NAS1 -u 1001 -g 1000 -f 777 -d 777 -N //RDP@NAS1/Volume_1/ /mnt/Pool_A/NAS_Mounts/NAS1/Volume_1

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could get this working?
TIA