LSI HBA upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilacerated

Dabbler
Hey all I've got an IBM BR10i flashed to an LSI SAS3082E-R (IT) in my system ATM and was able to pickup a new LSI 9207-8i for $70 recently to get ready for replacing my WD 2TB Reds with 4+TB Reds.

Out of the box sas2flash reports the following key points:

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2308_2(D1)
Controller Number : 0
Controller : SAS2308_2(D1)
NVDATA Version (Default) : 14.01.00.06
NVDATA Version (Persistent) : 14.01.00.06
Firmware Product ID : 0x2214 (IT)
Firmware Version : 20.00.07.00
NVDATA Vendor : LSI
NVDATA Product ID : SAS9207-8i
BIOS Version : 07.39.02.00
Board Name : SAS9207-8i
Board Assembly : H3-25412-00G

From what I can tell I should be fine to just swap the cards but figured I'd ask here if anyone had any cautionary tales or straight up horror stories that I should be aware of.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's even using the latest firmware. Great deal!

From what I can tell I should be fine to just swap the cards but figured I'd ask here if anyone had any cautionary tales or straight up horror stories that I should be aware of.
Yeah, just swap it out. As for horror stories? Well, there's the one where Linus from LinusTechTips walks into a datacenter, but that doesn't involve LSI HBAs.

dilacerated

Dabbler
It's even using the latest firmware. Great deal!

Yeah, just swap it out. As for horror stories? Well, there's the one where Linus from LinusTechTips walks into a datacenter, but that doesn't involve LSI HBAs.
Alright then I will go forth and fear nothing. Thanks!

dilacerated

Dabbler
Just in case someone else is searching for thermal answers another user here posted about the TIM on his LSI cards being $#@* which turned out to be the culprit for errors he was seeing. I cannot comment on the errors but as to the TIM being *$!@ I second that!

The TIM on my card was ROCK HARD. I cannot recall having to put so much force into pulling a heatsink off that I feared I'd be ripping the die off with it. It had hardened to such a point that it took about 25-30 minutes to get it off the die with a few dozen Q-Tips and ArticClean #1 with several minute soaks in the AC1.

Anyhow I thought about putting some of my Prolimatech PK-3 or Noctua NT-H1 on it but decided to just use Artic Silver 5 which is doing fine on this chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.