Help Flashing 9207-4i4e?

freenewb

Cadet
When I run sas2flash I get the following output:
Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2308_2(D1)

Controller Number : 0
Controller : SAS2308_2(D1)
PCI Address : 00:09:00:00
SAS Address : 500605b-0-09b9-5630
NVDATA Version (Default) : 11.00.00.10
NVDATA Version (Persistent) : 11.00.00.10
Firmware Product ID : 0x2214 (IT)
Firmware Version : 18.00.00.00
NVDATA Vendor : LSI
NVDATA Product ID : SAS9207-4i

Obviously, I'd like to update it to the latest firmware,
but when I head over to: https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9207-4i4e
The freebsd firmware 20.0 download only has a sas2flash utility and not a .bin?
The msdos download DOES have a bin, but it is a version slightly higher than the BSD firmware version?
Is it safe the use the msdos firmware? Should I also update the bios while i'm updating the firmware? Do I need to?

freenewb

Cadet
I haven't even tried flashing it yet? I'm just trying to determine how to get and which file i need to try to flash?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
When I run sas2flash I get the following output:
Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2308_2(D1)

Controller Number : 0
Controller : SAS2308_2(D1)
PCI Address : 00:09:00:00
SAS Address : 500605b-0-09b9-5630
NVDATA Version (Default) : 11.00.00.10
NVDATA Version (Persistent) : 11.00.00.10
Firmware Product ID : 0x2214 (IT)
Firmware Version : 18.00.00.00
NVDATA Vendor : LSI
NVDATA Product ID : SAS9207-4i

Obviously, I'd like to update it to the latest firmware,
but when I head over to: https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9207-4i4e
The freebsd firmware 20.0 download only has a sas2flash utility and not a .bin?
The msdos download DOES have a bin, but it is a version slightly higher than the BSD firmware version?
Is it safe the use the msdos firmware? Should I also update the bios while i'm updating the firmware? Do I need to?
Download the MSDOS/Windows zip file for the SAS-9207-4i4e and flash your HBA with the IT firmware version 20.00.07.00 it contains -- this is the 'golden' version which has seen long, reliable use on LSI-based HBA cards under FreeNAS.

How you flash it will depend on your system. If your system is older and doesn't support UEFI, you can flash from a bootable USB stick using the DOS tools. If your system supports UEFI you can download and use the sas2flash.efi tool found in the 'Installer_P20_for_UEFI.zip' archive.

There are quite a few handy HBA flashing guides here on the forum... and all over the internet, too.

Good luck!

freenewb

Cadet
Download the MSDOS/Windows zip file for the SAS-9207-4i4e and flash your HBA with the IT firmware version 20.00.07.00 it contains -- this is the 'golden' version which has seen long, reliable use on LSI-based HBA cards under FreeNAS.

How you flash it will depend on your system. If your system is older and doesn't support UEFI, you can flash from a bootable USB stick using the DOS tools. If your system supports UEFI you can download and use the sas2flash.efi tool found in the 'Installer_P20_for_UEFI.zip' archive.

There are quite a few handy HBA flashing guides here on the forum... and all over the internet, too.

Good luck!

Can I download it to /tmp on my freenas box and use the built in sas2flash utility? or is this not recommended?
-m

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Can I download it to /tmp on my freenas box and use the built in sas2flash utility? or is this not recommended?
-m
You can do that... But I don't recommend it. There's always a risk involved when flashing the HBA of a live system. It's much safer to flash when the system is offline.

freenewb

Cadet
You can do that... But I don't recommend it. There's always a risk involved when flashing the HBA of a live system. It's much safer to flash when the system is offline.

Understood. Any additional value to flashing the bios or is the firmware simply what I should be interested in?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Understood. Any additional value to flashing the bios or is the firmware simply what I should be interested in?
That depends... if you don't boot from the HBA card you can skip the BIOS and your system will boot up more quickly. If you do boot from a drive connected to the HBA, then you might as well update the BIOS too.