LSI HBA for > 8 Ports.

Shadowtm

Cadet
Hey, I want to virtualize Freenas on a x470d4u-2t and Proxmox.
Because the 6 Sata ports on the host are all from the same controller, I probably won't be able to passthrough only 4 of them, because I need 2 for the OS.
Because of that I am looking at LSI HBAs on Ebay, but most I have seen feature 2 mini Sas ports.
That is nice an all, but I would like to be able to add more drives later, so 3-4 mini Sas ports would be nice.
Are there any used LSI HBAs out there that fit in that range ?
I would also buy a PCIe Sata Controller, but most that I find are also 8 ports or less.
Or if it is possible to split 2 mini Sas into more than 8 ports without a Sas Expander, that would also be an option.

Thanks in advance
Shadowtm

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Because the 6 Sata ports on the host are all from the same controller, I probably won't be able to passthrough only 4 of them, because I need 2 for the OS.
True
Are there any used LSI HBAs out there that fit in that range ?
sure, look for the models with 16i or 24i in the name... these are really expensive so prepare for the price shock.
I would also buy a PCIe Sata Controller, but most that I find are also 8 ports or less.
The ones that have enough ports typically support Marvell controllers, which are not well liked in these forums for their propensity to fail quickly.
Or if it is possible to split 2 mini Sas into more than 8 ports without a Sas Expander,
No, doesn't really work like that... ports are limited... usually the solution is as you mention an expander or a backplane built into a chassis with larger numbers of disk slots.

ornias

Wizard
16i or 24i really is expensive, best bet would be a high quality(!) expander.
Intel made some nice once that should be solid and are relatively cheap...

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Really expensive?

I must be getting something wrong but eBay has multiple used -16i LSI HBAs @ around $150 right now. Even better, whoever is listing them already flashed them to IT mode so they’re drop-in ready for FreeNAS.

Shadowtm

Cadet
Thanks for the replys,
what can you say about one of those cards ?

looks pretty affordable for up to 16 Sata Ports ?

Constantin

Vampire Pig
higher density units are likely to command a premium for the convenience of more ports for a single lost PCIe slot. Especially true for all the mini-ITX based systems out there with ambitions to run more than a few disks.

interestingly, the external version (16e) sells at a 50% discount relative to the internal one.

anyhow, for $150 there are multiple offers on hand to add 16 SAS/SATA ports to your rig while only using one PCIe slot. Seems like the best bet considering how well LSI is supported by FreeNAS.

Last edited:

Constantin

Vampire Pig

Shadowtm

Cadet
So probably my best bet is to just get one of those:
If I need more ports later on, I can then buy one of the 16i ones.
I guess those are also better than new Sata PCIe Controllers right ?

ornias

Wizard
I guess those are also better than new Sata PCIe Controllers right ?
Well you could also grab an intel res2sv240 expander instead of replacing the card.

Anyway:
Powerconsumption of all these things is not "low", but to be honest: If you want to run an energy efficient NAS don't throw more than 8 disks in it anyway.

some perspective:
You are talking about 1-1.5W added per drive for the controller. Often drives already use 4-8W idle on FreeNAS.

Shadowtm

Cadet
Well you could also grab an intel res2sv240 expander instead of replacing the card.

Anyway:
Powerconsumption of all these things is not "low", but to be honest: If you want to run an energy efficient NAS don't throw more than 8 disks in it anyway.

some perspective:
You are talking about 1-1.5W added per drive for the controller. Often drives already use 4-8W idle on FreeNAS.

fair enough.