LSI 9302-8i using mpt not mpr

CHero

Cadet
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone could help figure out what's happening and maybe point me in the right direction.
I'm new to Truenas and have installed Scale on my 'old' hardware.
Next to Truenas a new addition to this setup is an LSI 9302-8i card.
I was reading up and couldn't find details about it using the commands I found at first.
Soon I found out it shows up under mpt3sas using the command: dmesg | grep mpt.
As I understood, since this is a SAS3 card it should show up with the command dmesg | grep mpr instead.

So, to conclude..question 1: Am I correct this card should be running under the mpr driver and not mpt as it does now?
And question 2 if the answer to the first is yes...how do I go about seeing what the cause of this is?

When running the command with mpr all it returns is the below:
Code:
admin@truenas[~]$ sudo dmesg | grep mpr
[    1.625569] pstore: Using crash dump compression: deflate

I have done a firmware update on the card, hope this would resolve it.
Firmware update went correctly and the drives do actually work in Truenas.
Details of the card:
Code:
admin@truenas[~]$ sudo sas3flash -listall
Avago Technologies SAS3 Flash Utility
Version 16.00.00.00 (2017.05.02)
Copyright 2008-2017 Avago Technologies. All rights reserved.

Adapter Selected is a Avago SAS: SAS3008(C0)

Num   Ctlr            FW Ver        NVDATA        x86-BIOS         PCI Addr
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

0  SAS3008(C0)  16.00.12.00    0e.01.00.07    08.31.02.00     00:08:00:00

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
        Exiting SAS3Flash.

My system details:
- Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B450M-A
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600x
- Memory: 2x 16GB Kingston ksm32ed8/16HD (Unbuffered ECC)
- PCI card: LSI SAS 9302-8i 12Gb/s 8-port IT-mode
- Drives: 5x 12TB Toshiba, 1x 500GB WD SSD and 1x 120GB WD SSD as boot pool

Thanks!

neofusion

Contributor
As far as I know, the usage of mpt is normal with that card in SCALE.

Edit: What information are looking for? sas3flash -list will show some more details about the card.

Last edited:

CHero

Cadet
As far as I know, the usage of mpt is normal with that card in SCALE.

Edit: What information are looking for? sas3flash -list will show some more details about the card.
Thanks for the reply, first of all.

At first I was looking for what firmware was on the card, which I couldn't find using sas2flash (which became rather obvious when I found out about sas3flash).
During further digging I found out about the different drivers, mpr, mps and mpt while looking for my card and firmware on it.
I tried looking for information what was going on here, and from what little information I could find I concluded:
- mpr = SAS3​
- mps = SAS2​
- mpt = SAS1​
Seeing how that was my conclusion, I was very surprised I found my card under mpt as this didn't seem the right place for it.
Am I incorrect in my conclusion about drivers?
Or is this card currently running, even though maybe expected as you said, in a very undesired way?

I currently have the feeling the system is running far from optimal, so that's why I'm doing this extra digging to make sure things are working right.
Dealing with some buffering on media when disks are busy doing other stuff as well, not getting full gigabit performance when dealing with remote files or internet downloads.
I'm adding a mirrored SSD pool the coming weekend to move workload there if I have it instead of on my main pool, want to make sure my setup is working right...and up to it's full potential.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hi @CHero

Because SCALE is based on Linux instead of the FreeBSD base that CORE uses, older articles and posts about driver nomenclature don't always apply. Under CORE you would expect to see that device supported by mpr but SCALE using the mpt3sas driver is expected.

I currently have the feeling the system is running far from optimal, so that's why I'm doing this extra digging to make sure things are working right.
Dealing with some buffering on media when disks are busy doing other stuff as well, not getting full gigabit performance when dealing with remote files or internet downloads.

According to the specs, your board uses the Realtek RTL8111H chipset - while the Linux drivers for these cards are slightly better than the BSD ones, Realtek isn't exactly favored among the community for stability or performance. Are you able to try a different card, preferably one with an Intel chipset?

CHero

Cadet
Hi @CHero

Because SCALE is based on Linux instead of the FreeBSD base that CORE uses, older articles and posts about driver nomenclature don't always apply. Under CORE you would expect to see that device supported by mpr but SCALE using the mpt3sas driver is expected.

According to the specs, your board uses the Realtek RTL8111H chipset - while the Linux drivers for these cards are slightly better than the BSD ones, Realtek isn't exactly favored among the community for stability or performance. Are you able to try a different card, preferably one with an Intel chipset?
Thank you very much for confirming that this at least is working right and as expected!

Yea, I am very much aware Realtek isn't favored...certainly not under FreeBSD (have some experience with firewall boxes).
I was already thinking about upgrading to an Intel based card before, but will definitely make this my next purchase in this case.
First wanted to make sure all other things are right before I go upgrading again...